• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

Noticed that the contents of the Buddha Gallery have been moved. To that white room space which usually has temporary exhibitions.

In it's place is the Mini Museum. A museum space for kids to enjoy and interact with.

The museum was celebrating it's 130th birthday today.

See photos on Twitter (not mine) via this hashtag #bmag130

That temporary gallery - now with religious artefacts.

These two were moved from the former Buddha Gallery

Holy books, a scroll and tablet ... (different faiths)

Hindu related objects

Due to Congreve Passage being closed (due to the Central Library demolition), pedestrian access to this end of Great Charles Street Queensway is limited. Not sure if the museum entrance down there is in use or not.

Photos from 3rd April 2016

In March 2016 I saw this on the link bridge at the museum

Superduperperspective, 2002 by Patrick Hughes

In January 2016 I noticed that they moved the David Cox bust onto the link bridge.

Also one of the Selfridges reflective discs was in the Birmingham History Galleries

Many of the objects in the Birmingham History Galleries such as the HP sign have been removed, due to vibrations from the demolition of the Central Library. So if you go in, don't expect to see any objects at the far end of that gallery.

Attachments

• P1030329 (960x1280).jpg
    P1030329 (960x1280).jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030334 (1280x960).jpg
    P1030334 (1280x960).jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I've seen these new signs around the museum. If people notice them will they get to the gallery they are looking for?

Turning to See From Van Dyck to Lucian Freud is now open, from the 28th May to 4th September 2016.

Some photos I took there (couldn't take everything - some pictures had copyright restrictions).

Many items are on loan from the National Gallery.

Alfred Wolmark, 1913 by Henri Gaudier-Brzeska (1891 - 1915), Bronze

Self Portrait, c 1640, Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599 - 1641), Oil on canvas

Henry Marten, 1650s, Sir Peter Lely (1618 - 1680), Oil on canvas

Prosperine, 1881 - 82, Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828 - 1882), Oil on canvas

Head of a Man wearing a Turban, around 1651, Salvator Rosa (1615 - 1673), Oil on canvas

Head of a Bearded Man, 1962, Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973), Linocut on paper

You can now see BM & AG from Paradise Circus (near Summer Row and Sandpits roadworks) thanks to the fact that the old Central Library is now gone (well most of it)

I remember a tiger and other animals, also a collection of penguins.
My favourites will always be the Egyptian mummies and the geology section.
Last time there was a display about mother-of-pearl button-making, but I haven't been for a long time now.
rosie.

I've got a very vague memory of stuffed animals, but don't remember a crab. Sounds awful!
The crab was about 4 foot across its legs, horrible looking thing but I always had to see it every time I visited. Car Crash viewing or what. I spent hours in the bird section, I didn,t realise seagulls could grow so big, though to be fair there were not many in Brum, I was only about ten.

I love penguins - wish I could remember them. The crab sounds nightmarish.
Ages ago I had a dream about a lot of stuffed animals, which was probably based on these buried memories. The dinosaur used to terrify me, even as an adult. The pterodactyl was quite something as well.

If they are not in BM & AG now it's because they moved them to Thinktank.

Leopard seen at Thinktank in 2014.

Blackbuck

Polar bear

Anything that isn't at Thinktank might be at the Museums Collection Centre in Nechells.

Cant believe you don't remember that crab Maria, remember the Grizzly bear. I used to stand about a yard away from the glass case, it looked so real. I will never forget the eyes and the fangs of that tiger. Imagine walking round there about 3 in the morning!!!!!!!. Sweet dreams. Only joking. I,ve been in some museums in my time around the world but none have come anywhere near like Birmingham.

Thanks for the photos, ellbrown. I think my dream was based on them and similar...must have blocked the frightening crab out of my mind, alan!!

Back