• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dollman Street Stores Discussion Here

Can anyone please tell me when the next open day is.....and is there anywhere to park my car ?......Thank you

August 19th.

Think there was a small car park outside (go inside the gate, and it is on the left).

Great........Thank you for replying ell brown.....been meaning to go for a few years, I can take my grand children show them some real history......

I can't understand the figures given hear 90% of the exhibits are stored in this warehouse, well forgive my ignorance that means there is only 10% on show in the think tank now i have never been to thinktank but it must be very small if that is all they can cater for, yet it seems such a large building , if you consider the size of newhall street where they had all these stored exhibits on display plus the "city of birmingham" which was on prominent display newhall street must have been a tardis compered to thinktank.
must go and check thinktank for myself .
phil

It just goes to show what a shame we haven't got a proper museum. If only we had something like the Black Country Museum. I have a friend coming up from London tomorrow who wanted to visit a "the Birmingham museum" well I would hardly call the Think Tank that! I have told him to visit the Pen Room museum. Sad isn't it.

wendy
I have commented before about a black country style museum located in birmingham they ( the powers that be) seem to find land for numerous apartments that no-one can afford or want yet some of these older buildings that have been converted into apartments could have been used for a museum i still think they could have used land in the east side developement for it, but who am i but a mere rate payer who can have no say in it
phil

So what would they put in this Birmingham version of the Black Country museum, All our old buildings of interest have long disappeared. Mind you I suppose they could make a start with the Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park as Birmingham Council certainly don't want it, they are just waiting for it to fall down. Any other suggestions?

phil
That is at least one they should preserve they at least put it somwhere safe but then left it to rot i still think they should encorporate curzon street in any museum plans (not that they have any ) there is plenty of land there.
phill

I went to a museum in Naples, Italy last week (National Archeological Museum of Naples) and it was massive (was on a organised tour holiday of the region). Had lots of statues, busts etc found in places such as Pompeii and Herculaneum. The building itself looked old, but had scaffolding outside (assume that they were restoring it).

There's just nothing the size of Dollman Street Stores in the city centre to fit it all.

Was wondering if the old Central Fire Station could be turned into a museum (instead of student accommodation) near Aston University.

The land near Curzon Street Station is reserved for HS2 I believe.

The new Science Garden has opened at Think Tank - not got round to checking it out yet.

froth is there any chance you can repost your pics on this thread please...

lyn

froth is there any chance you can repost your pics on this thread please...

lyn

The last open day was Sunday 16th September 2018, I went there via a heritage bus from Snow Hill Queensway.

Some of the photos I've uploaded so far from this visit.

Past Leaders of the County Council

War memorial plinth with a hand with a torch.

Sutton Coldfield, Wednesbury, Northfield, Central Labratory, Council House, Lord Street, Industrial Research Laboratory.

The bus is JOJ 222 (2222), a rather elegant Leyland 'Titan', with bodywork by Park Royal which entered service with BCT in 1950. There were 50 buses in this class and were generally at Hockley and Roseberry Street bus garages. This particular bus was at Quinton when withdrawn in 1969. It can usually be seen at the Aldridge Transport Museum/ Aston Manor Museum.
The granite plinth looks like it might have once been part of Dartmoor. ;)

I know it was JOJ 222. Nice 10 minute ride on leather seats upstairs. Roof was a bit low!

What about that stone torch?

Found a copy of Oliver Cromwell's death mask in the Smaller Objects Store!

The last time I saw one of those was at the Museum of London in 2012.

Also seen in here was a bronze bust of Bronze bust of Frederic Lord Leighton by Thomas Brock.

ell you didnt come across the big clock from lucas gks did you...it was said to have been put into storage after the factory was demolished but i have never been able to trace it...i have asked dolman st but they admitted that they did not know all of the stuff they have stashed there..said they would do a search and get back to me...never heard a thing..

lyn

no ell thats not it..the lucas clock sat in the middle of the bridge that crossed from one side of the lucas factory to the other like the H SAMUEL one in hunters road...i doubt we will see it again

Seems to me you’d need to spend a lot of time in the place to really explore the items, especially if they’re not too sure exactly what’s stored there. What an interesting place ! Viv.

Back