• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another One Bites The Dust!

jimbo

master brummie
Today is a sad day for all of us who used Northfield Swimming Baths and Leisure Centre. It closes tonight ready to be demolished and replaced by ------- a Swimming Baths and Leisure Centre!!! Too costly to renovate but not too costly to demolish and start again???
This is an establishment I have frequented for over 60 years and have some great memories of.
Progress??

i echo your sentiments jimbo so sad when something that has been part of our life is wiped away..you hold onto your memories....cant take them away

lyn

It's short-termism. The original was well built, but that means any changes (disabled access, knocking down walls etc) would also have to be done properly to last. Cheap plastic and plasterboard thrown up quickly is cheaper than doing a proper job, even though it may need replacing in 10 years. Ten years is probably another accountant's problem.

Is this the only Northfield Leisure Centre thread?

If so, found today the Forward Coat of Arms in a small garden in front of the new leisure centre.

Also got a new photo of the new leisure centre. Seen from Sainsbury's Cafe. The small garden is on the left.

This one from July 2018. The brick structure with the coat of arms is seen on the left.

Isn't it strange, when they rebuilt Northfield Leisure Centre they did not include a Sauna or Steam room, there was not enough people using them, always plenty of patrons in there when I visited, and yet they are spending £????????s on a cycle lane on the Bristol Road and on my many journeys on this road, and my observations from inside the University's Swimming Pool, I have never seen more than one cyclist. I know the new path is not officially open, but there is an existing cycle lane on the pavement and that is hardly used. Most cyclists use the Canal route.

The cycle lobby is like the vege one. Push their views onto everyone else, often with ridiculous results

where I live (Chelmsley Wood) you never see a cyclist on the road, cycle lanes or not, its always pavement and pathways - and no lights at night, and no bells to warn you the are coming, they just whoosh past you, they just assume you will not change direction. My sister in law was knocked down 2 years ago. Eric

Has been new cycle lanes on the Stratford Road in Shirley for a few years I think done when Parkgate was built. I've never seen any cyclist use them. This evening only saw some teens doing wheelies around Parkgate! Also these cycle lanes just end and are very short. What was Solihull Council thinking?

I hope this doesn't come as I have a problem with the Brummie people themselves, but the city itself has such a horrible problem for demolishing historic buildings. My great grandfather helped build it and my nan would always point it out when we'd visit family. Architecturally the new building looks so bland, sure it's better to have a leisure centre than not but it literally looks like a cardboard box.

I hope this doesn't come as I have a problem with the Brummie people themselves, but the city itself has such a horrible problem for demolishing historic buildings. My great grandfather helped build it and my nan would always point it out when we'd visit family. Architecturally the new building looks so bland, sure it's better to have a leisure centre than not but it literally looks like a cardboard box.
i agree with you...of course its not just birmingham who demolish old buildings however they do seem to be on a mission to erase our wonderful old buildings most of which were perfectly sound but they stood in the way of progress..something we all accept has to happen ie new roads...but what annoys me is when buildings are destroyed only for another building to be built on the same spot...moan over :D

lyn

i agree with you...of course its not just birmingham who demolish old buildings however they do seem to be on a mission to erase our wonderful old buildings most of which were perfectly sound but they stood in the way of progress..something we all accept has to happen ie new roads...but what annoys me is when buildings are destroyed only for another building to be built on the same spot...moan over :D

lyn
Well said Lyn! I do love a good rant.

In the 1950's the council slapped a compulsory purchase order on Graham's parents house and bought it for a paltry sum leaving the family with a mortgage. There's still a space where the house was!

Well said Lyn! I do love a good rant.

In the 1950's the council slapped a compulsory purchase order on Graham's parents house and bought it for a paltry sum leaving the family with a mortgage. There's still a space where the house was!
That is terrible! In the US that is called eminent domain, but any mortgage would be satisfied(does very by state).

Totally agree whatever happened to public consultation, it appears these days that it is done seldom, and we often hear about a demolition as it takes place or worse after. I am certain in this day and age the old infrastructure could be incorporated more into a new build then ever before. The changing face of Birmingham we cannot stop it, we can only try!

Totally agree whatever happened to public consultation, it appears these days that it is done seldom, and we often hear about a demolition as it takes place or worse after. I am certain in this day and age the old infrastructure could be incorporated more into a new build then ever before. The changing face of Birmingham we cannot stop it, we can only try!
They certainly do not have to look like cardboard boxes!

lyn
Totally agree with you. I was driving up by the NEC on Thursday and the devastation caused to our countryside by HS2 just angers me. You are right even if there is a public consultation it makes no difference because the go ahead was already given not just months but years in advance.

Back