• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1920s Toys & Board-games.

S

Stitcher

I wonder how many lucky families had any of these. (Please note this is a replacement image as original Opie images were lost on this thread. Viv)
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or these (substituted images for lost original Opie images. Viv)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again, Stitcher .... lots of Mabel Lucie Attwell-type designs and pictures. I read somewhere recently that chidren still love her pictures ... she seems to have a universal, timeless appeal for youngsters. Which begs the question: why is so much crap is produced these days; and with such inappropriate art-work? I found myself peering closely at your selection in the same way as I used to press my nose against the toy-shop window!

You've definately put your finger on the style there JohnO - From 1914 onwards Mabel Lucie Attwell developed her trademark style of sentimentalized rotund cuddly infants, which became ubiquitous across a wide range of markets: cards, calendars, nursery equipment and pictures, crockery and dolls. In 1921, J.M. Barrie personally requested her to illustrate the gift-book edition of Peter Pan.

If anyone is thinking of getting me a vintage pressie, that Zeppelin in pic1 or the telegraph operator kit in the last pic would do nicely thanks lol

hello JohnO and Aidan, I too look at these pictures with awe and imagine the exitement for a child in those days getting one of the toys because it really was what they wanted.

Nothing was considered too small for an effort to be made; even a chocolate-bar wrapper, of that period, was a piece of art-work. What price now, in our amazingly 'advanced' technological world! Half the stuff one buys is shoddy, or doesn't work. We buy almost everything from China, and it's broken the day after we get it home! Dinosaur rant over ....

I am so glad you had that blast then because my wife thinks I am the only one to talk like that.

Chad Valley (well the former printing co) made a smart move in the 1920s (see quote below from the Woolworth's site):

"The name Chad Valley first appeared on toys in around 1920, a new name for a printing company that had already been trading for up to ninety years. The idea began in around 1830 when a British printer by the name of Anthony Bunn Johnson began to make simple games for children as a sideline. These consisted mainly of pictures on paper and card, sometimes supported by a set of rules or instructions".

All three Chad Valley games below are from the 1920s. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 20
If we all remember Meccano Magazine from some years ago, which we discovered when studying Birmingham bus history?

From the beginning of the magazine's publication, both the inside front (and mostly rear) pages featured plenty of advertising for children. Mostly technical gadgets-and for the boys-since the board games were a later feature.

Best to look up via the PDF index to the magazine-year by year listed here
https://www.meccanoindex.co.uk/Magindex.php

Thanks Richie. The Meccano magazine link's a great resource.

Just had a look at the December 1923 issue. What a lot of advertising even back in the 1920s. Two examples below of Birmingham adverts in that edition of Meccano. Those receiving either of these for Christmas would have been very fortunate children. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 13
Hello Everyone
What was wrong with string, empty tins and old cotton reels plus bags of imagination.
Best wishes
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

Back