• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub On Coventry Road ?

redken

master brummie
Question for members. Can anyone recall the name of the pub that once stood where the old Wimbushes offices once were. I have been told it was a pub and it can just be seen in one or two shots of old Coventry Road showing the old library. It can just be seen in one of these old pictures. Nobody seems to recall its name.

Redken

This question has been raised before and I don't think an answer was ever found, as the premises you indicate was only ever a beer house a name was never recorded in the trade directory's. Sometime between 1915 and 1921 the then owner or manager closed the pub and with the property next door converted them into coffee rooms. The attached photo is most likely one of the ones that you mention.

Small Heath - Green Lane - Coventry Rd .jpg

Hi Jon/and redken
On the subject of winbush,s bakery on the corner of little green lane
This famous local bakery was established in1915 by Ambrose wimbush,whom sold
Cakes and sweets from a shop on the Coventry road,
Today Morrison's super market now occupies the site

Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,''''

Hi Alan,

Are you referring to the Vine L. H which was on the junction of Green Lane with Muntz Street ? If so it was there at least until 1950 (when I married and left the area). I believe that the name was later changed to "The Grapes". Whether it is still there I have not a clue.
Old Boy

Hi old boy
No I was not thinking of that one which is on the corner of muntz street
And I know it. Changed it,s name numerous time and I do believe that pub could be standing there
With a diffent name and going back years I do know that was also the Grapes and Vine by name
We are looking at the little Green Lane facing the old library and I know there is or was at one time
I will come back to you on this one I love resolving mysteries l am like an old dog with an
Old Bone story I am late coming back to you but its 11.30 pm here and just got in from oldsmokie brumm
Speak again soon , Alan,,,Astonian'''

This thread has been created using information from an unrelated pub thread. Hope I've correctly extracted the relevant information about the Coventry Road pub details. Viv.

Redken

This question has been raised before and I don't think an answer was ever found, as the premises you indicate was only ever a beer house a name was never recorded in the trade directory's. Sometime between 1915 and 1921 the then owner or manager closed the pub and with the property next door converted them into coffee rooms. The attached photo is most likely one of the ones that you mention.

View attachment 107177
Thank you Phil. Very helpful.

This picture shows a pub (I think )and I'm pretty sure that it is on Jenkins st small heath, any ideas.small heath bridge.jpg

Back