• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

G.E.C War Memorial

subotone

'OLDBILL'
Hi

Does anyone have any information relating to the G.E.C war memorial that was outside the Magnet Center in Erdington. I am trying to find out when it disappeared, was it stolen or moved elsewhere and who was recorded on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Subotone

s 001.jpg.

Hi

Does anyone have any information relating to the G.E.C war memorial that was outside the Magnet Center in Erdington. I am trying to find out when it disappeared, was it stolen or moved elsewhere and who was recorded on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Subotone

View attachment 95161.
I have come across a picture of the G.E.C war memorial which looks like it was taken in the 60's.

Subotone

Attachments

• IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 24
I remember this memorial well, I used to drive past it regularly in the early 1990's then one day it was missing. It was at a time when 'scrap' metal prices were at a high and as I recall it was made of Brass or Bronze and the assumption at the time is that it was stolen by a thief. I visited the local scrap dealers in an attempt to find it but never did. Such a pity that it should be desecrated in that way if it were stolen.

Steve R

Back