• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bolton Road, Small Heath

fantastic family photos lescoz they remind me of how the shops used to be back in the day

thanks for sharing them with us

lyn

Hi Lescoz, Reading you post, Johnny Smith lived on the front, I think the next house from your grandad's annexe, I remember all the other names too, do you remember Georgie Deacon and Sheila Taylor and Georgie Cross's sister Carole. I remember Mrs Binx and there was a lady called Rosa I think, who also worked there, always used to eat cold bacon sandwiches. The things you remember???

Hi Carole, yes I remember Georgie Deacon and Carole Cross, but Sheila Taylor escapes me. The name seems familiar but I can't recall a face. I also remember a family with The surname Chinn but not sure where they lived.

Do you remember Sylvia and Gordon King, and the Haddon family lived opposite the shop. Also Mrs Adams faggot and pea shop, went up with a jug every Friday for our tea.

Do you remember Sylvia and Gordon King, and the Haddon family lived opposite the shop. Also Mrs Adams faggot and pea shop, went up with a jug every Friday for our tea.

My Uncle & Aunt used to live in Bolton Road. Leonard Pickin and Joan Pickin (nee Sabin). I know that at the time of there marriage in 1950, Joan lived at 432 Bolton Rd. As a young boy (during the 50s) I used to go and visit them on a Sunday morning and walk down to the wall that overlooked the Railway, both worked at Tyseley sheds, Len as a shunter driver and Joan in the canteen.
Funnily enough when I worked as an apprentice and then Craftsman for the MEB I worked on and around Bolton Rd removing the Electric services from the houses prior to them being demolished

I am pretty sure the Gibbons lived in Bolton road before they moved to Perry Barr. They owned the transport business in Watery Lane.

Hi, I am new to the forum, I found this almost straight away! The shop was owned by my grandfather Reginald Burgess and I lived there until I was eight, I went to Oakley Road school. This certainly stirred up some memories
Did your grandfather have a son called Ronald?
Later had shops on Stratford Road Sparkhill?

I remember the faggot and pea shop but didn't know he ladies name was Mrs Adams. I don't remember the other families - sorry

I have my fathers Army record, and the address 32 Cooksey Avenue is where his Silver War Badge was sent to in 1918.
nice to see a picture of the area.
Nick
This is a 1970s pic of cooksey road small heath (from todays Mail) The entrance to cooksey avenue can be seen by the third car on the left and the other entrance/exit is by the lampost on the left. Cooksey road small heath.jpg

What a great picture, my Dad was born on Cooksey Road in 1903.

Probably wouldn't have looked much different then...

i see the bus stop and reminds me that no.28 bus used to run from city centre all the way to great barr of course

What lovely photos, don't suppose you know which part of Bolton Road this is, I lived down by the Bolton Arms.

do you know where the chemists used to be on corner of golden hillock and bolton rd towards the city there was another bus stop near outside our front door

Looking at it again I think its the stop before the new bridge, looking down on the right you can see the front of the Deritend Ex-service mens club (I think).

Sorry on the left you can see the club front, brain not what it was.

you know i cant place where simkins was now. i know there were houses and buildings all the way to the bridge on both sides of the road and just before the bridge the mens on the left going towards city

you know i cant place where simkins was now. i know there were houses and buildings all the way to the bridge on both sides of the road and just before the bridge the mens on the left going towards city

Simpkin's was the paper shop opposite the Bolton Arms, I think there was a bookies next door.

I lived in Bolton Road. One or two doors from Jacks's shop. He always had his feet on the counter co plaining about his feet. Then went and cut cheese for customers. Ah those were the days. I was about 11 when there in 1967-71

Back