• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs in Key Hill

Lyn.
Map showing Hadley St c1889. Seemed to disappear c 1960

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing Hadley St.jpg
    map c 1889 showing Hadley St.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 14
mike that would explain why i dont know it.....thanks for the map...we learn something every day

lyn

I dont think Hadley Street exists anymore Lyn, it lay between the houses and Browns ( I think that was the name of the place). There was a wood yard at what was the end of the street, it had been cut off due to the new road from New John St west and Icknield Street.

Lyn

No matter I've never been very good at keeping records of where I've sourced images from but I always try to acknowledge if they have ben passed on to me by someone else. The side street you can see on the photo was indeed Hedley St which was just up Key Hill a little from the Abbey Vaults.

thanks phil and mhumphreys...as i said hadley st is a new one to me and must have gone by the time i used to work in and around that area

lyn

Carolina

21,22 & 23 Key Hill A & C Timms Ltd Drapers was in the corner of Hadley Street.

When I worked in Key Hill in 1970-74 My mother in law to be kept the Abbey Tavern ( Little Abbey) and there was a drapery shop and a sweet shop in the properties going up the hill from Icknield Street. Phil, the Abbey Vaults ( Big Abbey ) was down at the end of the Flat on Lodge Road,they got their nicknames to avoid confusion, also the Abbey Tavern was only a beer house, it had no licence for wines and spirits.

Another view of The Bulls Head c1963 looking straight up Key Hill from Icknield St .

Attachments

• Bulls Head Key Hill - Icknield St 1963.jpg
    Bulls Head Key Hill - Icknield St 1963.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 28
My mother in law also took over the Bulls Head after Ansells decided to close the Little Abbey down. I worked in premises that was previously one of Norton's shops and it is the first dark coloured place up from the Bull.

My mother in law also took over the Bulls Head after Ansells decided to close the Little Abbey down. I worked in premises that was previously one of Norton's shops and it is the first dark coloured place up from the Bull.

thanks for that info...you must have been working in the area about the same time as i was...i was in vyse st ..happy days

lyn

Yes Lyn I was working as a press toolmaker in Key Hill and used to have a wander around the jewellery quarter in my lunchtimes, always found it a fascinating place and still do although it seems to have lost a little of it's character. If my wife was still alive she could always remind me of things that she remembered them. She worked all of her life in the quarter doing vitreous enamelling. Happy days indeed.

Yes Lyn I was working as a press toolmaker in Key Hill and used to have a wander around the jewellery quarter in my lunchtimes, always found it a fascinating place and still do although it seems to have lost a little of it's character. If my wife was still alive she could always remind me of things that she remembered them. She worked all of her life in the quarter doing vitreous enamelling. Happy days indeed.

i was working in vyse street at joseph staintons wholesale jewellers...used to cut down the entry in hylton st that led to key hill to go to the shops on lodge road..i didnt realise just how many shops etc there was on key hill until i saw the maps and photos...think i must have walked around with my eyes shut in those days..mind you i think most of us did in our younger days

lyn

hi pedrocut...i could well be wrong here but i have never heard of weatheroak hill or the coach and horses in this location...of course we do have an icknield st here in birmingham so i would be grateful if anyone could confirm that this photo was taken in birmingham..if so i have just found out something new

cheers

lyn

Lyn, the Coach and Horses Weatheroak Hill is at the junction with Icknield Street but is in Worcestershire. There is still a pub by that name there. I think the confusion lies in the road name - not the one in Birmingham.
Janice

Attachments

• Coach and Horses map.JPG
    Coach and Horses map.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 5
hi pedrocut...i could well be wrong here but i have never heard of weatheroak hill or the coach and horses in this location...of course we do have an icknield st here in birmingham so i would be grateful if anyone could confirm that this photo was taken in birmingham..if so i have just found out something new

cheers

lyn

You could well be right. This is a problem when a picture is placed in the Mail without any explanation. Seeing Icknield Street and being a Birmingham Paper I just assumed it was "our" Ickneild Street...will have to look deeper!

Back