• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Interesting that in the #2430 second article, roads such as Colmore Row and Livery St were to be 'straightened', seemingly not for volume of traffic reasons, but for aesthetic reasons! And they'd have to knock down houses in the process. Viv.

Special platform to see Lady Godiva. Bet they paid a good sum to use it. Who said the Victorians were pure and sedate.

Attachments

• best view Lady Godiva.jpg
    best view Lady Godiva.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14
Hi Lyn,

Sorry for delay in replying to your post 2421. I don't get auto-alerts now. No rellies as far as I know - it was in with the family photos but the Woolleys (Mom's family) lived in Upper Thomas Street a the time this was taken. May just be a friend. I'll go back to it for another look.

I pity the poor horses that would have to pull this monstrosity

Attachments

• large omnibuses.jpg
    large omnibuses.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 15
It does not say that the horses need to pull it fully loaded. The horse drawn could simply refer to it being pulled from event to event. However if it is pulled fully loaded the number of horses is going to depend on the surface that it is is pulled over

Still trying to work out what a "Pleasure van" was. One was advertised on this thread on 25.11.1862 which held 50 people (a bit of a coincidence after the post of yesterday)

Attachments

• pleasure van for sale.jpg
    pleasure van for sale.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 15
Death of a fishmonger, or perhaps I should say John Rotton fishmonger. No doubt a loss to cheeky children

Attachments

• john rotton fishmonger.jpg
    john rotton fishmonger.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
On the subject of cheeky children and names of shopkeepers, where I used to live as a boy there was a shop run by a Mrs Sillitoe. Kids used to open the shop door and shout Barmy Fingers

Winding up of the dining hall company, which tried to provide good tasty nutritious food for working people. (As it is large it is in photobucket. Click on view and then click on plus sign in top rh corner of screen.

birmingham ding halls report re winding up.jpg

Last edited:
Fire at Bates brewery, Kings Heath
Another fire at Peck bone boilers and button makers. Woodcock Hill must mean Woodcock St, as the address of Mr Peck in the 1862 and 1867 directories is 1 Heneage st, meaning it was at ( or very close to) the corner of the two streets

Attachments

• fire in bates brewery, kings heath.jpg
    fire in bates brewery, kings heath.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • fire in woodcock hill.jpg
    fire in woodcock hill.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
Even today, waiting for a fire engine to come from Birmingham to Kings Heath could spell disaster for a building on fire. Viv.

Description of how the poor are admitted for free care by charitable institutions. Sounds like an obstacle course.
Ballet named "The Merry Millers of Brum". The image of men in white overalls dancing on tiptoe defies my imagination

Attachments

• Ballet called the Merry millers of Brum.jpg
    Ballet called the Merry millers of Brum.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 12
  • charitable relief at the orthopaedic hospital.jpg
    charitable relief at the orthopaedic hospital.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 12
The hospital ticket system. What a crazy system. And it'd be another agonising 80+ years before the NHS came not being. Viv.

hi mike how strange i have been researching the gem family..re the name gem st..wonder if mr edward gem was part of the same family...would think so

to early in the morning for me to think about men in white overalls dancing about lol

Accused claims witchcraft by his wife when challenged in court
Early Olympic Games in Llandudno

Attachments

• accused  claims witchcraft by wife.jpg
    accused claims witchcraft by wife.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9
  • early olympic games in llandudno.jpg
    early olympic games in llandudno.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 9
Large fire in Edgbaston (as this is large file it is on Photobucket, and you hav eto click on thumbnail, then on + in top right hand corner).
Entertaining the toffs going by in their omnibuses.
Gas explosion at Weslyan Assurance Co caused by workman forgetting there had been a leakage of gas". Wonder if the Weslyan insured themselves. Story does not say, unlike most fir stories..
Displays of "freaks" not confined to fairs, but by New st station.

entertaining the toffs.jpg gas explosion in moor st.jpg unusual displays not just in fairs.jpg Big fire in edgebaston st.jpg

Last edited:
The Don sounds like a competitor on Britain's got talent

Attachments

• imitator of the flute.jpg
    imitator of the flute.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 9
Somewhat ridiculous decision by the West Bromwich magistrates.

hypocracy_of_british.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Aston Hall rooms that were "set apart for the Artic Regions". Wonder if it was anything to do with any of these expeditions?

image.jpeg

Mike is I ok if I copy this press cutting to the Aston Hall thread? Gives a lot of very interesting information about the interior. Viv

Sanitary conditions in the Birmingham suburbs apparently leave something to be desired
Pursuit indulged in by a number of great boobies
Have known a number of odd women, but "Odd Women" seem to have died out, or maybe its only reformed ones that have ?

Sanitary_conditions_in_Birmingham_suburbs.jpg
engaged_in_by_great_boobies.jpg
reformed_order_of_odd_women.jpg

In those days they did not waste anything. Selling grass from cemetery.
Death of Bookseller, Mr W.J.Sackett

Attachments

• Death of W, Sackett.jpg
    Death of W, Sackett.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Did not waste anything in those days.jpg
    Did not waste anything in those days.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 11
I know many of the "medicines " of this time did nothing other than as a placebo, but making them up regularly with methylated spirits, is not likely to help the patient.

claimed_missselling_of_meths.jpg

Interesting that Gin was half the price of Meths in those days when later it became a cheap substitute drink for alcoholics.
Perhaps it was tax that put the price up?

Everything that happened then (to the well off and middle classes anyway) was meticulously reported in detail as shown in this report of a violent thunderstorm

serious_thunderstorm_in_birningham.jpg

Back