• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Love the Makepeace sign John. Looks to me like the name itself is made up of tiles as well as the green backing tiles. Imagine this is a fairly unusual tiled sign - well of surviving signs. Viv.

I think that the letters with joins in are replacement tiles which have been broken,note the letter E with the tile following the shape of the lower serif.

See what you mean John. There are quite a few replacements, some differences in tile colour too. Viv.

This sign is on a building next to the railway bridge along Soho Road, Handsworth. Think it might say 'Jewellery' on the third row with a telephone number on the last row. Viv.
image.jpeg

Agree it says Jewellers, but do not think it can refer to this building , as Kellys from at least 1910-1973 shows it as a confectioners.

Probably taking advantage to advertise to train passengers passing underneath Mike. Viv.

Lilliput and Housewife were magazines, see below. Very good ghost signs Ell. Thanks. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    732.8 KB · Views: 11
I've noticed that a lot of the shops round there have been converted into houses or flats (the ones to the far left of that ghost sign).

You wouldn't know it from this one, but it's on the side of the converted former shops.

You can see them on Google Street maps view here Pershore Road, Stirchley

Thanks David. If anyone joins the walk please take photos for this thread if possible. Many thanks. Viv.

One to watch, especially the painted sign above the door. The Albion at Aston on Aston Road North. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 15
This former Aston Manor Tramways building on Witton Lane is now home to a banqueting and conference centre. Who'd have thought it way back when trams were shunted in and out of there! Nice to see even the old gas lamp over the sign has survived. Viv.

image.jpeg

i pass it often viv and my mind goes back to a few years back when we held a protest outside to try and get the council to keep it as a museum...fell on deaf ears of course..

no viv they had old buses in there..also old ambulances and trucks...should be photos of the inside on the forum...still had the old tram tracks as well which along with the old walls had to be covered for protection before the new owners started knocking it about...still annoys me even now that our history has to be covered up..whats the point if we cant see it...still you never know if this banqueting hall finishes we may get to see them again

Thanks David. Looks good - lots of good looking vehicles. A labour of love. Glad there's still a museum.

Pity there weren't any trams though Lyn. Only ever been on one at the Black Country Museum, and what a lovely piece of engineering they are. Viv.

Re the Aston Manor Tram Depot - didn't Prince Charles officially open the museum?

yes sparks he did..think it was part of his 40th birthday celebrations...i actually wrote to the prince at the time when we were trying to save the museum...i did get a reply but there was nothing he could do to help...

lyn

Back