• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Streets

Loved the 'photo of Golden Hillock Road, I lived in Bolton Road, and went to the Galaxy most weeknights, brings back lots of memories.

what Location.jpg I think the attached photo comes from the Small Heath area, does anyone recognise the road or whats left of it?

typical street scene during demolition badpenny...not many clues but could be a school/church in the distance.

lyn

Hi Badpenny..Nice picture of the redevelopment of Small Heath ..strange that the small group of houses remain untouched amid all that devastation ..Roy

Hello Roy, I thought it may have been Small Heath thanks for confirming it.

Just need to find the actual road now.

Hello Roy, I thought it may have been Small Heath thanks for confirming it.

Just need to find the actual road now.
Hi All,
This photo suggests to me that the whole street had been demolished and the two houses standing were left because the compulsory purchase was being resisted. Now what would be the reason for the demolition? My suggestion is that it was for the construction of Small Hearth Highway. I think the school in the distance is Waverley Grammar School and the highway passes very close to that.

Old Boy

at first i thought the same old boy but when looking at the road waverley grammer used to be on the left of both bolton road and byron road.and yes houses were demolished to give way for the small heath bypass.but im not sure this is the spot

Last edited:
My friend Jeffrey the Bluenose reckons that Badpenny's picture shows the tower of Little Green Lane's library and the other chimney is on what is now Masjid's. He wonders if this shot could've been taken from Bordesley Green?

My friend Jeffrey the Bluenose reckons that Badpenny's picture shows the tower of Little Green Lane's library and the other chimney is on what is now Masjid's. He wonders if this shot could've been taken from Bordesley Green?
I wondered about there but don't think the "tower" is quite right.

Hi All,
Having studied a photograph of Waverley Grammar School (now known as Small Heath Middle School) I am convinced that it is that school that can be seen in Badpenny's photograph.. As to where the photo was taken I think that Postie was nearest in that I feel the photograph was most likely taken in the area of Coventry Road and Watery Lane.
Old Boy

umm it could have been cooksey road then from the angle the photograph was taken.from cooksey road the twer and the school would indeed be on the right.any takers?

but dont forget there were quite a lot of these towers dotted about in those days,some with clocks.some gone and some still around because of listed buildings status, only a suggestion

Green Lane, Small Heath. Despite partial demolition (?) shops seem to be carrying on business as usual. Viv.

image.jpeg

Looking through the upper right window the roof is off including rafters so could it be damage from a tornado which hit that area in 1931 ?

Assuming that the properties retained their old occupancy, the 1932 Kellys shows the only junction with a corresponding series of shops (to the right from the corner: off licence, confectioner, newsagent) is Victoria St, with corresponding numbers, 236,238 & 240

Hello I am very new to this forum so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place . My paternal Grandparents lived in Green Lane my Father Frank Arrowsmith was born there in 1920 he joined the army and ended up living in Berkshire . But we used to visit my Grandmother quite often and I have vague memories of the area . I would love to see some photos of around that time . Sadly my Father died in 1975 when I was 25 so I have not been able to ask the family for much info . Maybe someone could point me in the right direction . Many Thanks

Hello I am very new to this forum so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place . My paternal Grandparents lived in Green Lane my Father Frank Arrowsmith was born there in 1920 he joined the army and ended up living in Berkshire . But we used to visit my Grandmother quite often and I have vague memories of the area . I would love to see some photos of around that time . Sadly my Father died in 1975 when I was 25 so I have not been able to ask the family for much info . Maybe someone could point me in the right direction . Many Thanks
Hi Pam, welcome to the forum. If you go to the Old street pics.. thread and use the thread search type "Green Lane" with quotes and tick 'search this thread only' you will find posts about it. There are lots posts referring to Small Heath streets in that and other threads and other members know much more about the area than I do.
oldmohawk :)

Hi Pam, welcome to the forum. If you go to the Old street pics.. thread and use the thread search type "Green Lane" with quotes and tick 'search this thread only' you will find posts about it. There are lots posts referring to Small Heath streets in that and other threads and other members know much more about the area than I do.
oldmohawk :)
Thank you so much -)

Back