• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham's Lost Communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

drddrd

Young people in Birmingham schools have been devising and researching three short plays about the lives of people in Birmingham’s ‘lost communities.’

Students from George Dixon Academy, Perry Beeches Academy II and Calthorpe School, have been working with Midland Actors Theatre and Birmingham historian Professor Carl Chinn, to research the history of communities that have now disappeared: the ‘Italian quarter’ in Digbeth; the Jewish community on Hurst Street; and the working class area in the Jewellery Quarter.

They have tried to imagine what life was like, when the streets of Digbeth were filled with the Italian voices ... when the shops on Hurst Street sold bagels and kosher meat ... and when the Jewellery Quarter resounded with the sound of clogs on cobblestones.

They have devised three short plays, which will be performed at the Birmingham and Midland Institute on July 5th at 1pm and 7pm. The presentations will feature traditional music, song and dance.

The Birmingham’s Lost Communities project is funded by a grant of £34,100 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (Young Roots scheme).

The event is free and is open to the public. To reserve tickets, email MAT on [email protected] or phone 0121 608 7144.

Midland Actors Theatre, 25 Merrishaw Road, Northfield, Birmingham B31 3SL
www.midlandactorstheatre.com

Attachments

• Birmingham's Lost Communities eflyer.jpg
    Birmingham's Lost Communities eflyer.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for telling us about the lost communities plays. Projects such as yours have an important role in securing the involvement of young people in their heritage. I hope the plays are a success and would like to wish all those involved good luck. Viv.

Hi viv
Yes its sad that the community's of our era have slowly dissolved habit like our old members
On this forum, but I am happy to say how happy I am that one or two of our long awaited members are coming back to our great site today I have noticed on the listing
Was rowan,and bernieviw which is great and I have noticed over the last few weeks
There as been other old members as well whom are now back with us including Spooner
It seems the council are partially to blame by redeveloping our districts and areas
In my opinuinbut society as changed drematicaly for the worse
Keep up your good work viv l am always looking at your threads
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

They just got scattered all over the city, into the suburbs. Edgbaston for instance. Or decades later, moved away from Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back