• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarah Guppy

Although Isambard Kingdom Brunel got the credit for building the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, It would never have had been built if it wasn't for a Birmingham woman. I salute you Sarah Guppy.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...behind-bristols-iconic-bridge-mum-of-six-who/

Thanks to John Lunn on facebook who brought it to my attention
guppy_birmingham_small.jpg

Hi Just spotted this street Art image of Sarah Guppy, it was recently put up in the carpark by Queensway and Ludgate Hill. I think she was baptised at St Pauls Church in about 1770. A

Last edited:
what a fascinating life sarah had and a most unusual occuption not just for the the time but for a woman...

lyn

How do we know it is Sarah Guppy?
Good question Janice but it definitely is Sarah Guppy. Graham came across her some years ago whilst doing some research I think at Bath University.

Does anyone have access to the newspaper archive which includes 30th May 2016 Telegraph mentioned in the first post please? I'd love to read the article but don't want to subscribe. Thanks.

Good question Janice but it definitely is Sarah Guppy. Graham came across her some years ago whilst doing some research I think at Bath University.

Does anyone have access to the newspaper archive which includes 30th May 2016 Telegraph mentioned in the first post please? I'd love to read the article but don't want to subscribe. Thanks.
I found this link to the article in the Telegrapgh - hope the link works: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...behind-bristols-iconic-bridge-mum-of-six-who/

There is a rather laborious way round this, but it is not a very long article. When you have reached the site and the request comes up to subscribe, refresh the screen and the full article comes up. It gives you several seconds before the request comes up again. Repeat this until you have read.

(edit… sent by private message to LadyP.)

Last edited:
Back