• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Bartley Green Police Station

Sian

master brummie
Hello
I have put Old Bartley Green Police Station into 'search on here' but nothing showed. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find some old photographs of the Bartley Green Police Station?

Thanks in advance for any help
Best regards
Sian

Many thanks JennyAnn ~ I will contact them ~ I hadn't realised there was a library in Bartley Green ~ I'm sure they will be able to help.

Best regards
Sian

Hi Sian,

I am fairly sure that there was never a police station in Bartley Green. The nearest police station in Birmingham would be Longbridge. Do you, perhaps, mean Bordesley Green?

Old Boy

Hello (it seems disrespectful to call you Old Boy)

There was definitely a Police Station in Bartley Green. It is now a family home. I have emailed Bartley Green library and the Bartley Green History Society unfortunately the later was returned by mailer demon. I will try again tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest I will let you know if I find any photographs.

Best wishes
Sian

I cannot remember a police station in Bartly Green during my time 1951/58 I remember the Policemans house was down near the Cock Inn and the prefabs in Jenners Lane.
Paul

Hi Paul
It is at the cross roads of Frankley Green and Church Hill I think (the lane coming up from St Leonard's Church). The main road comes down from Northfield to Kitwell Lane.
Best wishes
Sian

Hi Paul
It is at the cross roads of Frankley Green and Church Hill I think (the lane coming up from St Leonard's Church). The main road comes down from Northfield to Kitwell Lane.
Best wishes
Sian

Hi Sian,

You can call me Old Boy, that is the name I call myself on the forum. However, if you prefer , you can call me Chris. You are rigjht re the above but it was not a police station It was a police house with an office attached which was normal in County Forces.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi Sian,

You can call me Old Boy, that is the name I call myself on the forum. However, if you prefer , you can call me Chris. You are rigjht re the above but it was not a police station It was a police house with an office attached which was normal in County Forces.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hello Chris
Thank you for your reply ~ strange that it has been referred to as Bartley Green Police Station and the name of the house is 'The Nique'. However, I would still be very interested to see an old photograph of the police house if there is one available anywhere.
I think a trip to Bartley Green library may be a good place to enquire.
Many thanks for your interest.
Best wishes
Sian

There was a Police 'Station' at the bottom of Jiggins Lane at one time but these were cottages rather than a station, however I have never come across any photos. It is identified on a map but can't recall offhand what year. Police also lived in houses facing the Cock pub. The reason why mail to the History Group has bounced is that we have had a name change. Our contact secretary is still Lynn Weaver but email address is now [email protected]

There was a Police 'Station' at the bottom of Jiggins Lane at one time but these were cottages rather than a station, however I have never come across any photos. It is identified on a map but can't recall offhand what year. Police also lived in houses facing the Cock pub. The reason why mail to the History Group has bounced is that we have had a name change. Our contact secretary is still Lynn Weaver but email address is now [email protected]

Hello
Thank you for your response, it is definitely not in Jiggins Lane or facing the Cock pub, it is at the cross roads of Frankley Green and Church Hill. I emailed Lynn Weaver at the above email address and it was returned immediately not being able to be delivered. Do you have any alternative contact address for her?
Thank you again for your interest.
Best wishes Sian

Here is a map with the police station marked from 1972. It is still marked in 1980 and seems to appear between 1915 and 1937

frankley_green_police_station_c_1972.JPG

Hello Mike

Thank you very much for the map, it clearly states it was a Police Station, if only I could find a photograph that would be great.
I will print it off tomorrow ~ thank you once again.
Best wishes
Sian

mike, what date is the map? I cannot remember all those frankleys when I lived there, no field lane, jiggins lane, adams hill, the westmister farm when I lived there was Bullocks farm, no church school no anex,/ no village shops. no police station in the 50's only a bobbys house near the cock inn and prefabs.
paul

Paul
The map is labelled 1972-80. I can't make any comment on it myself, as i never knew the area very well.
Mike

Hello Mike and Paul
I believe the Police Station was built in the 1930's, so should have been there when you lived in the area Paul. It was some way from Jiggins Lane and Adams Hill. The Rectory in Church Hill (belonging to St Leonards Church) was diagonally opposite the Police Station in Frankley Green. The nearest farm was and still is Park Farm. The continuation of Kitwell Lane is Ravenhayes Lane. I hope this helps to place where Frankley Police Station was.

I will let you know if I ever find a photograph of the old Police Station.

Many thanks for your help and interest.
Sian

Hello
I have put Old Bartley Green Police Station into 'search on here' but nothing showed. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find some old photographs of the Bartley Green Police Station?

Thanks in advance for any help
Best regards
Sian

Hello, I lived in Jiggins Lane in the 1950/60's. There were 2 police houses directly opposite the Cock Pub.
The one on the right had a blue police phone in the front garden. This house was occupied by PC
Harry Whitehouse and his family. A further 2 Police houses were built either side of the original 2. These are all still there, slightly altered. The other Police station at Frankley green, was known locally as frankley police station, and not bartley green police station. This house still exists as well, and is on the corner of the crossroads, facing what was the old Vicarage, which is also still standing. In the 1980's, a police base, opened in one of the 6 storey flats on the Athol estate, and then moved to one of the smaller flats nearby. Don't know if it's still in use.
All the best..................Steve Harpur

Last edited:
Thank you for your response Steve ~ it is the Frankley Police Station in Frankley Green that I am interested in. Since posting I have been to Worcester County Hall where they had old photos of Frankley Green but alas none of the Police Station. My next visit will be to the Vicar of St Leonards Church in the hope that the Parish Council may have a photo.
Watch this space............
Many thanks once again
Sian

The map above appears to be Frankley! The Bartley Green Police station I recall in mid 90s was more of an "outstation" which was situated at the bottom floor of the flats not far from the neighbourhood office / sennleys park. When these got demolished they moved to Monmouth Rd for a brief time then to Long Nuke Road. The one at long nuke expanded and became more of a visible presence, however I believe it again was an outstation and not open for general public to access. All Police matters would have been referred to Bournville.

[QUOTE The Bartley Green Police station I recall in mid 90s was more of an "outstation" which was situated at the bottom floor of the flats not far from the neighbourhood office / sennleys park. .[/QUOTE]
The Police Base in Bartley Green was in Flat #5, Longdale House, Bickington Road, Bartley Green. It served Weoley Castle, Woodgate Valley and Bartley Green and supplemented the service given by Bournville Lane Police. It was mannd by 9 uniformed patrol officers, 3 CID officers and 12 special constables.

I remember this police station and I’m fairly sure it was still in use as a police station when I was a child.

I moved to Bartley Green in the early 50s and often walked up Ravenhayes Lane, stopping to play in Raven Hays wood then carrying on up the lane, passing the Police station on the right, to sit on top of Frankley Beeches just to look at the view.

The 1939 register has Edgar L Y Reynolds, Police Constable, Worcester Constabulary living at the Police Station, Frankley, with his wife Frieda E (nee Winwood) Reynolds and 2 blanked out lines, who I presume are their sons John b 1934 and Terry b 1939.

Back