• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Arms In Digbeth

Chebalina

proper brummie kid
From the information imparted to me over the years, I know that my family and I lived in the Birmingham Arms around 1962 (when I was born). I was christened at St Martins and was reared on a diet of fresh fruit from the market and raw sausages from the slaughter house next door.

My grand parents (Meg and Thomas Donoghue) were the publicans and my mother (who would have been in her early twenties) - Yvonne, worked behind the bar with them. I spent the first couple of years of my life sitting in my pram behind the same bar, receiving regular deliveries of free food from the barrow boys on the market.

My father (Dennis John Sweetman), who was in the Irish Guards, met my mother at the BA and they were married at St Anne's in Digbeth. My aunts and uncles also lived in the pub with us - Raymond, Gwyn, Isabelle and Mary Donoghue.

The Donoghues seem to have moved into the Birmingham Arms between 1957 & 1960, and were still there in 1965, which is the last year the electoral roll is online. It seems to have been their first pub in Birmingham, though I would have thought that they would have needed some earlier experience before taking on a pub such as this. A photo I took in the early 1970s is below.

E-mail_36__Birmingham_Arms.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chebalina. I expect the BA was once a hotel - plenty of rooms above. And it seems your family made use of them too! Has the pub now gone? Viv. .

Its address was 1 Moat Row. It stood, apparently, between Moat Row, Bradford Street and Sherlock Street.
Janice

The map below c 1951 shows where it was. I think the picture shows what is there now (according to Streetview)

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing Birmingham Arms.jpg
    map c 1951 showing Birmingham Arms.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 60
  • site of birmingham arms.jpg
    site of birmingham arms.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 57
thanks mike....would rather have that lovely building than the car park that is there now..:(

Thanks for the confirmation of the pub’s location on the old 1950s map. As has been said, shame it’s no longer there as it did look like a grand building. Looks like it was across the road from the Drovers’ Arms, a photo of which, taken by Phyllis Nicklin, can be found here.

Last edited:
It seems it was rebuilt in 1886 on the site of a former pub and closed in 1973. Pity as it was another good building.
Janice

The photo of the Birmingham Arms brought back some memories for me. In the 1960's I was a regular at several Trad Jazz pubs in Brum, including the Birmingham Arms. The very first date I had with the girl eventually I married (still married to her 45 years later!) was to take her to see The Artesian Hall Stompers with Dan Pawson at the Brum Arms in about August 1969. What a way to impress a new girl-friend - however, she also liked jazz so all was well! It was a good old pub, run in those days by an Irishman who put up with no nonsense from any rowdy customers. The jazz was upstairs, and as has been previously mentioned there were many rooms on the first and second floors which does suggest it was built as a hotel. I wasn't aware it had been demolished, but I'm not surprised. Such a shame a lovely old building had to go. There was jazz for a time at The Drovers Arms across the street, and I assume this pub is also no longer standing.

G

I believe where the Drovers’ Arms once stood is shown here on Google Earth. The present building is part of the South & City College, opposite the multi-story car park already mentioned, which is on the site of what was the Birmingham Arms.

That is correct, though the Drovers lasted a little longer than the Birmingham Arms

Hi mike
Do you have any pictures of the drovers arms or as anybody else got one
As I can recall the old drovers pub
Best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,

Alan if you click on the word "here" at the end of post 11 it will take you to a picture of the Drovers.

Janice

Hi Janice and mike
I would like to say thank you, to you both for putting the threads and pictures
Of these two pubs which I will down load and copy for my collection
I must say a big thank you especially Janice for directing me to the post
And you mike for your quick reply for your fast responds last night
In giving me the name of the road at the parade
Thanks guys , best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

I saw this picture of the Birmingham Arms hanging on the wall in the Woodman Pub in Curzon Street. I'm happy to say I got a copy and it now takes pride of place in my home.

20160526_143140.jpg

The Birmingham Arms in Bradford Street date 1968. Moat Row on the right Sherlock Street on the left.
Birmingham Arms 1968 iOS.jpg

Last edited:
This certainly was a large place, more than just a pub it seems. There appears to have been stabling facilities, as the sign on the pediment proclaims. At some time in the past, presumably when stabling was no longer needed, the stables were converted for other use. In this photo (post 21) we see J.C.Brindley & Co. Ltd. trading there.

Although the Birmingham Arms was on the corner of Bradford St, the address was actually in Moat Row

I lived at the Birmingham Arms when I was approx 10, around 1968. My parents Peter and Elsie Howell ran it for just over a year. It had regular Jazz nights and i remember a cupboard on the first floor landing full of Druids costumes. Pretty sure at that time it was painted Blue on the outside. I had a Saturday morning job on the fruit stall outside the entrance to Woolworths in the Bull ring.

Hi, I'm hoping to make contact with User Chebalina. The site says she has not been active since July 2020 (two months ago). One of the Admins (Jim) said in an email that she is no longer on the site. Does anyone have an email address for her. We were both at Hollow Extrusions (Tyseley, Birmingham) back in 1990-1993'ish. I worked in the accounts office -- Rita was in charge of Payroll, Mike Maidment was finanical director, followed by Chris Powell. I can name other staff if needed.

Hi, I'm hoping to make contact with User Chebalina. The site says she has not been active since July 2020 (two months ago). One of the Admins (Jim) said in an email that she is no longer on the site. Does anyone have an email address for her. We were both at Hollow Extrusions (Tyseley, Birmingham) back in 1990-1993'ish. I worked in the accounts office -- Rita was in charge of Payroll, Mike Maidment was finanical director, followed by Chris Powell. I can name other staff if needed.

hi HXB as far as i can tell chebalina is still an active member of the forum...as you said its only been a couple of months since she last signed in so hopefully she will see your post and reply to you

lyn

Hi, I worked with Hugh, the Management Accountant, also Sue (smoked by the window). Other than Rita (Payroll), Mike Maidment, Chris Powell and Mark in charge of the data processing system that is all I am able to name in the accounts office.
I started a "conversation" with you - click the email symbol on the top line, then click "Show All". Are you able to reply there?

Also, I did not get any email notification of your response here. Maybe that is an option somewhere.

Back