• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cabin at Sheldon

The updated Cabin Pub, Sheldon Heath Rd. Len. With thanks to Ann B.

Attachments

• Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Cabin.jpg
    Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Cabin.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
The origional Cabin Pub. Len. Also an Ann B pic.

Attachments

• Cabin Sheldon Heath Road  The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    Cabin Sheldon Heath Road The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 27
The Brays Rd/Sheldon Heath Rd Shops 1955. Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon Sheldon Heath Rd 1953.JPG
    Sheldon Sheldon Heath Rd 1953.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 21
Would your aunt and uncle remember the Bradleys who were there in the 1960s?

I remember The Cabin - I lived just off Holly Lane from 1972-1990. I can remember it used to have a sign in the window saying, "Play snooker with Rex Williams". Does anyone else remember that? Did Rex Williams really ever play there??

Ann, if you liked live music, did you ever go to the St. Bernard's Grange, Barrows Lane? In the early '80's my husband was in the resident band there, on Thursay, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday lunch and evening. And they were always packed out, and had to turn people away.

Ann
With regard to the St Bernard's Grange, sorry to be a bit late with this reply Ann...just thought you may like to see this, if you already haven't...https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• Sheldon St Bernards Grange[1].jpg
    Sheldon St Bernards Grange[1].jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 20
My Aunt and Uncle lived in one of the flats above the co-op on Church Road and I can remember going to the wool shop with my mom. My nan lived on Sheldon Heath Road and we used to pass the Cabin/Muzeppa when we went to see her in the late 60s and 70s.

sistersue61, The Cabin/Mazzepa names have gone, aka The RadleyArms pub is due for demolition soon but the Co-op is still in business i don`t think they have tenants in flats above but am not sure. Len.

sistersue61, The Cabin/Mazzepa names have gone, aka The RadleyArms pub is due for demolition soon but the Co-op is still in business i don`t think they have tenants in flats above but am not sure. Len.
And the Chestnuts pub has just been demolished to be followed shortly by what is left of the Sheldon Heath Comprehensive school (though they have built a new building in the grounds, now Called King Edward VI Academy Sheldon Heath

Hi Peter

Here is an early image of the Chestnut Tree and you can see the old college building in the background also gone now. I'll see what I can do about the rest of the photos on the thread.

Attachments

• Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Chestnut Tree.jpg
    Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Chestnut Tree.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Phil,
That's the rebuilt Chestnuts, opened in '64. Before that there was a smaller prefab. building, opened in the early 50s I believe.

Peter

I'm not sure if there ever was a photo of the original Chestnuts on here, if there was then I never saw one. I have replaced all the images I am able to, but if any of the original posters want to replace them again with the original photo please do so.

Chestnuts was my local from when it was built c1950. It was where you caught the Eatonways coach for a day trip to the seaside, Weston, Barry Island etc. They sold beer from the outdoor into your own jug. There was often someone selling shellfish around the bar. My father-in-law, much to the amusement of his daughters would say that he had had one in the 'nuts on his way home. My mother in law was a cleaner at the Garretts Green Tech

I don't know a lot about the history of the area other than I used the Meadway public house for a while in the 80's , but I assume these are the same area of Garretts Green Lane in different time periods.

Attachments

• Sheldon The Chestnuts Garretts Green Lane.jpg
    Sheldon The Chestnuts Garretts Green Lane.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Garretts Green Technical College.JPG
    Garretts Green Technical College.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 61
  • Sheldon Garretts Green Lane .jpg
    Sheldon Garretts Green Lane .jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1933 .jpg
    Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1933 .jpg
    148 KB · Views: 61
Peter

I'm not sure if there ever was a photo of the original Chestnuts on here, if there was then I never saw one. I have replaced all the images I am able to, but if any of the original posters want to replace them again with the original photo please do so.

It was more or less identical to the original Cabin. Prefabricated structure, Bar on left, outdoor in middle, lounge/snug to the right. The original Chestnut Tree was in the middle of the roundabout.

I don't know a lot about the history of the area other than I used the Meadway public house for a while in the 80's , but I assume these are the same area of Garretts Green Lane in different time periods.
Thanks for those four pictures.#2&#3 are familiar to me, but can't place #1&#4. I remember a farm on the right of Garretts Green Lane just east of the junction with Sheldon Heath Rd. it could be the one in your picture, can't make anything out on the finger posts. Could the larger house(The Chestnuts) be the building in the 1902 map opposite Sheldon Heath Rd. "petebrewer" when you say the original Chestnut Tree was in the middle of the roundabout are you referring to the house in Phil's picture. The original 1950's pub was only slightly forward of the new building, certainly not on the island. Phil did the "Meadway" become a Lidl.

Screenshot (40A).jpg

Seems the old house "The Chestnuts" was some 200 yards West of the site of the pub near to where St Thomas's church is now. See this 1890's mapScreenshot (41A).jpg

devonjim - I meant that there was an actual chestnut tree on the roundabout/junction before the pub was built. That's why it's called The Chestnut Tree.

The old building in Phil's post could be an old rectory in Garretts Green Lane.

Devonjim

Yes the old house in picture four was called The Chesnuts and was located where Peter says it was. I would imagine it was demolished to facilitate the building of St Thomas's after the war picture 4 is the junction of Sheldon Heath Rd and Garretts Green Lane in 1933 before the area became built up.

I lived in Garretts Green for some twenty years 1948-68 and in the early years the church for the area was St Giles in Sheldon. That was until the new church was built which was named St Thomas's after the church that was bombed out in Bath Row. There was no need for a rectory in Garretts Green as there was no church. The original pub was named after the house that had stood on the site see #98. Is there anyone who has a directory or any records to show who lived at this impressive house previous to the building of the massive 1940-50's housing estate.

Can anyone tell me if this pub still exists? I am researching my family history and my Great Uncle (Leslie Bradley) and his wife were landlords during the 1960s and 1970s.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with info.
Cheers
Hi not sure if pub still there origanal cabin went years ago
My Grandparents Les and Betsy Bradley are the people you are on about
Sadly both passed,they also ran pubs in the city centre,my parents ran the Brunswick for a while after Grandad pased Nan relocated and ran a off licence,
Until she retired to A ex publicans retirement estate in Rugby,
They had two Daughters Beryl and Marilyn(Mal)

The Cabin used to be on the corner of Sheldon Heath Rd. and the Radleys. It was knocked down and replaced by another pub, the Mazzapa or something like that. It's now called The Radley Arms. When it was the Mazzapa, my family (also Bradleys) used to drink in there.

Ann
My Grandparents the Bradley's ran the Cabin

I haven't spotted any other photos of Poolway, but I'll keep my eyes open. Yes, we did used to go to the park. Mainly cut through there to get to poolway. They used to have a fair there. My brother nearly died just by poolway. He was knocked over, just crossing Sheldon Heath, by the entrance to the shops, he was touch and go over night, but pulled through. Susan Darkes rings a bell, and we lived by the Gee family. Funny, I have a cousin Tony Bradley, but he trained as a hairdresser at Raymond's in Brum. So probably not the same one.
Bye for now then Ringo. Sorry, I'll only say it this once.
p.s. How's your drumming these days?

Ann
Hello Ann
Was that the Gee family in Sheldon Heath Road opposite the Comprehensive,if so we lived 2 doors away.

Wasn't there a Fish & Chip shop in Garrett's Green called "Gee's"in early 1950's. I think on Garrett's Green Lane near the bottom of Cockshut Hill near Job's newsagents. Anyone confirm?

Wasn't there a Fish & Chip shop in Garrett's Green called "Gee's"in early 1950's. I think on Garrett's Green Lane near the bottom of Cockshut Hill near Job's newsagents. Anyone confirm?
Nearly right !..The Gee's shop was next to the outdoor on the corner of Cockshut Hill,it was a sort of deli/grocery shop..I went out with the daughter Lynn for a short while round 1959 !!!

Ann, if you liked live music, did you ever go to the St. Bernard's Grange, Barrows Lane? In the early '80's my husband was in the resident band there, on Thursay, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday lunch and evening. And they were always packed out, and had to turn people away.

Ann
I used to go to the free & easy’s at the Grange back in the ‘70s / early ‘80’s Stan Gould compère, Ken on piano, Denis on drums, & Graham on guitar, some great singers there back then!

Back