• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bethell Joseph Charles And Louisa

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I've agreed with a new member (derek bethell) to post a thread on his behalf to find more information about his grandparents. Below is what he knows so far and would like help in finding out more. I know members will kindly help Derek out. Thank you in advance. Viv.

I am led to believe that my grandparents were killed in 1941 during a raid when bombs fell in Little Green Lane in Small Heath.Their names were Joseph Charles and Louisa Bethell.Any help that you can offer would be very much appreciated.

and here is joseph listed on the BARRA site of civilian dead...injured at little green lane and died at the birmingham accident hospital...aged 58

Name Aged Injured on Injured at Died On Died At
Bethel, Joseph 09/04/1941 43 Little Green Lane, Small Heath
Bethel, Joseph 58 10/04/1941 45 Little Green Lane, Small Heath, Birmingham 11/04/1941 Birmingham Accident Hospital
Similar Matches

Name Aged Injured on Injured at Died On Died At
Bethel, Joseph 09/04/1941 43 Little Green Lane, Small Heath
Bethel, Joseph 58 10/04/1941 45 Little Green Lane, Small Heath, Birmingham 11/04/1941 Birmingham Accident Hospital

I can see no deaths listed in 1941 under those names, and they do not seem to be mentioned in the online newspapers of that year (This would be the Birm Mail, Birm Post, Ev. Dispatch and Birm Gazette.)

Do you want other info?

Joseph Charles Bethell was born in 1881 Colwall, Herefordshire (baptised 4 Jan 1882) the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Bethell.

Elizabeth Bethell was born in 1858 Mathon, Worcestershire (baptised 22 Aug 1858) the daughter of James Bethell and Anne Bannister

James and Anne's marriage was registered Mar qtr 1848, Ledbury.

Joseph Charles Bethell's marriage to Louisa Bannister (coincidence...or not?) was registered in Dec qtr 1904, West Derby.

Ann Bannister was b1826 in Much Cowarme, Herefordshire (bap 12 Nov 1826) the daughter of Paul and Mary Bannister.

James Bethell was b1824ish in Yarkhill, Herefordshire possibly the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Bethell.

Thank you all for kindly looking up the info. Derek is familiarising himself with the forum and getting used to using it, so I'd like to pass on his thanks.

Please DO keep any more info coming if you uncover anything else, I know it will be well received. Viv.

I think Louisa Bannister was born in 1884 in West Malvern (baptised 25 Mar 1884) the daughter of William Joseph Bannister and Sarah Tombs.

The family is living in Flixton, Lancs in 1891 and Sarah (a widow) is in Aston in 1911 with some children. In 1891 William is listed as an engine driver.

William Joseph Bannister's marriage to Sarah Tombs was registered Sep qtr 1876 in Birmingham.

Sarah Tombs was b1859, in Cradley, Herefordshire the daughter of Jonathon Tombs and Mary Ann Pudge.

Jonathan and Mary married 1842 in Cradley.

William Joseph Bannister was b1854, in West Malvern (bap 23 Jul 1854) the son of Joseph Bannister and Eliza (possibly Bruton)

There's a possible marriage registered Mar qtr 1849 in Worcester.

It looks possible that there is some sort of connection between the two Bannister lines...

Joseph Bannister's (above) father, William, might have been born in Bishops Frome which is a couple of miles from Much Cowarne where Paul Bannister was born.

Also Paul Bannister married Mary Davies in Bishops Frome, 24 Oct 1811.

You guys are amazing.Any chance of tracing the Bethell side beyond Joseph.Only other info is
Josephs' father was born 1856? in Liverpool.Married to Elizabeth Caroline?

Have I got the right Bethell's then?

Joseph Charles and Louisa's children...

John (Bannister) b1903 Stalybridge (before marriage).
Albert Edward b1906, Birkenhead
Joseph William b1908, Birkenhead
Ellen Elizabeth b1910, Birkenhead - died 1911.
Sarah Emily b1910, Birkenhead - died 1911.

other Bethell/Bannister children

Thomas H registered 1912, Birkenhead.
Ellen L registered 1914, Birkenhead.
Frank registered 1916, Birkenhead.
Florence M registered 1920, Aston.
Ethel M registered 1923, Aston.

If so then Joseph Charles appears to be the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Bethell, as mentioned above.

On the marriage record for Joseph and Louisa it gives his Father's name as Thomas Bethell (deceased). Marriage on Dec 26th at Parish church of St Leonard in Bootle.
Janice

Interesting that he was baptised as Charles Joseph not the Joseph Charles he used when he married.
Janice

In 1891 Ellen (born in Colwall) is on the Welsh census as a visitor with her Mother Elizabeth (single) and a Charles Bethel aged 9. They are staying with an Alfred Bethel and his wife also Elizabeth.
Janice

ref:Bethell thread.I have James Bethell born 1824 married (1848) to Anne Bannister born 1826.
How can I go backwards to find his father etc.Regards Derek Bethell

Before 1837 things are a bit more tricky, usually the only records available are parish records of baptisms, marriages and burials. And even then they don't give much information, especially as you go back further. Also there are gaps what are available online, so a trip to the county is necessary.

However this seems likely to be James Bethell in 1841 and Thomas and Elizabeth could be his parents, though no relationships are listed in 1841.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M77D-9D9

I can't find a baptism online though which would confirm it. His father's name would be listed on his marriage certificate (again can't find it online).

Back