• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stirchley baths and libary ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI Guys;
a couple of nights ago i dropped my old dutchess off at the old triplex glass social club ; in cotteridge ;
and i made my way down to dads lane fish and chip resturant in dads lane i went down the old pershore rd ;
and i passed the old libary ; and the old baths on theone way system ; just before the coop store and the old tasco,s
as we knew it in those old days and thought on passing these two building ; when did they clos these two public building down;
as i recall them open many years ago ;
so i thought this is a tasked for the forum ; i know i will asked any of our forum members did they used them or do es anybody know when they was closed down ; as i am very curiuos ; as to when it was ;
i must admitt that part of pershore rd is now a ghost town ;
many thanks ; and have a nice day everybody ;; astonian

Can't answer any of your questions mate but I drove down there yesterday and noticed the old baths. I thought to myself what a shame that such a lovely building is being left to fall apart like that.

The Baths have been closed over 20 years now but the library is still open. They are supposed to be turning the baths into a community centre and offices for the council i believe, as part of the new developments (Tesco & Asda) in Stirchley.

Yes Lynn
Not before time well over due and now the whole area will be coming alive and regenerated for its next younger generation of its population
I was told by some one whom is in the know quite area years back by some one whom is well known in the area
After I slated them many years ago about certain parts it was then they said Alan SElly Park is going to be regenerated and I laughter at them
So now its like. The council is starting the ball rolling after all these years its a pity our old friend Audrey is not alive today
To see what is going on,( I have used the word Audrey for the locals whom knew her ). As I know we have members on here from that area
And they know whom they are ) dear Admins, that is a christian name of a person whom as history for the area of sellypark
Going back centuries ,I have not put there surnames of high statue, this person died many years ago. Now,
It was ashamed to see that baths closed down and boarded up all these years it was depressing
With out moving the goal post it was a shame the BBC closed Down I was in Birmingham this afternoon and seen the changing of bristol red end by the college
And the fire and ambulance depot good old brum , Astonian,,,,,

Hi viv
That's great news to know its been confirmed for the award and that Audrey as got her wishes
If dear old Audrey is looking down now she will be smiling from the Heavens
And I can say Selly park will be regenerated and as far up as stircnley
Even thou the BBC pebble mill as gone there is still a lot of TV Personality are still living down in selly
Park today they have been there for at least thirty years to my knowledge and they appear on our telly today
And Selly park residents have a great community and a certain scene its just like coronation street
Or East Enders they hold regular street party' . And they help and look out for each other
Our Audrey was a key player for pershore road and Shelly park area
I would like to name her surname but for reasons I cannot and she was a very well known and very rich lady
Whom always used to say to me Alan, you must come out with me to the meeting
She was certainly in the know at the big white house col more row
Best wishes viv as always ,,,, Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,

I was at a heritage seminar last week when I met the (cannot remember what her proper job title was, but project manager would seem appropriate) who oversaw this project. She is a local person who was just bursting with enthusiasm for a local community project. They have done a great job so far and have a lot of activity planned for the future.

I always love seeing community based project like this

Anyone with a teaching background (or prepared to be mentored) fancy volunteering? Here's your opportunity. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 7
Can't find a thread for the Friends Meeting House, but it was restored by 2016. But only got photos of it completed in 2019!

When I took this in 2016 of the restored baths, must have forgotten to get an update of the Quakers place!

Back