• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Streets

Mike I noticed that in the 1950 edition of Kelly's that on the south west side of the road the side Whitby Place is on none of the terrace names match up with those on the map.

I don't know what was going on Phil. The pre 1945 rolls list Gladstone terrace as the one marked on the map as Victoria grove. I definitely think the OS made a mess up of the naming of the terraces in that area.

Blimey if you two can't sort it out, there's no chance for us others! Seriously though, this must be a rare OS error. Viv.

Welcome to the forum tmb73. Hopefully someone on here will be able to tell you whether the addresses in St Andrews Rd are different (or wonder if they're the same house but were re-numbered at some point?). Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Thank you Viv, apologies for steaming in there without introducing myself, I forgot my manners!
So, Hi everyone.
These forums are fascinating, quote addictive. I could be here a while.....

Mike

Do you think it was possible that Victoria Grove and Albert Grove were the original names for these two terraces as I note the same names are used on the 1889 OS map? Though quite why they would want to change the names of these terraces from that of the Queen of England and her Consort to one of her prime ministers and a port in Yorkshire escapes me.

Thagt;s very possible Phil. In fact that;s probably the reason, as the
OS people did not biother to alter then map names

Three photos of the Coventry Road at Small Heath. The third image is dated 1925 but no dates for the two others. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 80
Three photos of the Coventry Road at Small Heath. The third image is dated 1925 but no dates for the two others. Viv.
Nice pics. Viv,haven't seen the first 2 before,but the 3rd one has been bugging me for a few days now !..I've seen it as a postcard for sale on Ebay and it's been posted on Facebook too...I don't think it's of the Coventry Road at all.If you compare the wall in front of the park,it's completely different to your 2nd picture,also the tram power cables are suspended from different types of poles as well...The shops on the 3rd pic. are all very large 3 storey type buildings,there's nothing along Coventry Road that resembles them now at all and I don't ever remember buildings that big being there and I go back to the late 40's in this area !....It's a mystery .lol...

Hi Bhatti and Micky. Hopefully someone else will be able to help as I don't know the area at all. Viv.

Just had a look on Streetview and I think the 3rd photo might be between the park and Golden Hillock Road. Here's a comparison. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 58
The first photo is Coventry Rd - Whitmore Rd, the second photo is Coventry Rd outside Small Heath Park Dora Rd is opposite, the third picture is Coventry Rd between Golden Hillock Rd and Wordsworth Rd. If you look closely you can see the corner of Charles Rd on the left. See the attached photo of the same stretch of road a few years later.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd - Golden Hillock Rd.JPG
    Small Heath Coventry Rd - Golden Hillock Rd.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Just had a look on Streetview and I think the 3rd photo might be between the park and Golden Hillock Road. Here's a comparison. Viv.
Oh well done Viv ! ..I had assumed the park was on the right of the 3rd picture,but it would probably have been houses when the pic was taken..I've clipped a couple of shots from Streetview here.They are the large buildings in that 3rd picture of yours...Mystery solved for me now,thanks so much for your help :).Capture.JPG Captured.JPG

Viv

It seems we have come to the same conclusion by different methods, so we must be right.

Viv

It seems we have come to the same conclusion by different methods, so we must be right.
Ha ha,yes !..The daft thing is,back in the 50's I used to frequent the "Gondola" milk bar,which was in that block and also,I used to buy records from another shop in that block !..Seems like I've had a major "Senior Moment" here.lol...

Mickymoo

Wasn't the Gondola on the other side of the street next to Scotts record shop, not that I ever used the place I just remember looking out this photo of the café for someone a couple of years back. Were you thinking of the Galaxy Coffee bar that was on that side of the road but a little further back?

Attachments

• Small Heath Milk Bar Coventry Rd .jpg
    Small Heath Milk Bar Coventry Rd .jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 58
Mickymoo

Wasn't the Gondola on the other side of the street next to Scotts record shop, not that I ever used the place I just remember looking out this photo of the café for someone a couple of years back. Were you thinking of the Galaxy Coffee bar that was on that side of the road but a little further back?
Thanks for the pic. of the Gondola,just as I remember it and Scotts next door as well..The young lady assistant in there said to me one day "Are you going to buy this record or not?",after playing "All Shook Up" several times !!...Here's a pic.of where I think they were back then.If you look closely you can see some of the old woodwork is still there around the modern shop fronts.Capture.JPG.....Not sure where the Galaxy Coffee bar was,I'll put my thinking cap on !

Mickymoo

any idea when the picture was taken.the bus stop now is outside supermarket where the co-op used to be i think

Mickymoo

Yes that's exactly where Kelly's Directory puts the café at 556A Coventry Rd. The Galaxy Café was on the same side of the road as the three photos posted by Vivienne. However it was much further up the road near her first photo of the Whitmore Rd junction at number 395 next to Maturi's ironmongers.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd 1971.jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd 1971.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 58
Mickymoo

Yes that's exactly where Kelly's Directory puts the café at 556A Coventry Rd. The Galaxy Café was on the same side of the road as the three photos posted by Vivienne. However it was much further up the road near her first photo of the Whitmore Rd junction at number 395 next to Maturi's ironmongers.
Ah yes,I remember it now,I had some friends who had a small guest house (Colletts Hotel) just a few doors away from it...Don't think I ever went in there though..

any idea when the picture was taken.the bus stop now is outside supermarket where the co-op used to be i think

I think it would have been taken before 1968 because Scott's Electrical next door changed to Star Agency Electrical around that time.

Aubrey Road looking down onto Digby Park and up towards St. Benedict's on the hill (top right). Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 56
Mansell Road. Funny how kids loved the chance to push a pram around the streets in those days !! And slap bang in the middle of the road too. Viv.

image.jpeg

Tennyson Road, opposite Small Heath Park. Hopefully I've got the correct position on the Streetview image. I suspect the old photograph might have been taken a little further up the hill. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Mansell Road. Funny how kids loved the chance to push a pram around the streets in those days !! And slap bang in the middle of the road too. Viv.

Viv

What was the chance of meeting a car on a side-street back in those days, Mansel Road is a pretty long road and we can only see one parked car. Today if you walked along Mansel Rd you would count hundreds.

Back