• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Alberta, you don't need me to tell you are spot on with your moderation, also Mike for deleting it.
Eddie I can't understand how you draw a comparison between your sitting room and the forum, you can watch, and say, whatever you like in your home, but on here you have to be mindful that we have children and students who use it to do their history research.

The excellent moderation team on here have a very difficult job to do and they do a really good job.

I hope this clears up any points about bad language on the Forum.
YOU CAN'T USE IT !!!!!

I accept, understand and fully agree with the comments received.

My point was that great films, great plays and great TV has been produced, without even one foul word.

I find it very difficult to accept great reviews for a foul mouthed programme. Not just Peaky Blinders, but other so called TV high class programmes that get good reviews, and yet are filled with words that would have got someone into trouble a few years back.

Writers, directors and producers will say that that is life today, but often, I suspect, it is included to give more impact, more attention.

I do not follow East Enders or Coronation Street, but these programmes have sustained high TV rating, with good acting, and good stories for many years, but, to the best of my knowledge, no bad language content.

Its the way of the modern world, and the boundaries are slowly, but surely being pushed back. I dread to know what TV will be like in another few years time. Remember that those same children, and students are also watching these TV programmes.

Eddie

I have not watched Peaky Blinders. I have no idea of the characters, plots or language content. Having read the Radio Times, I am aware that the TV series is about Birmingham gangs at the commencement of the 20th century.

However I feel that there is a slight paradox on this subject, and on this website.

Just 24 hours ago a posting about the TV series, and the language content has, absolutely correctly, been deleted, and now I read postings praising the programme.

It appears that foul TV language is acceptable into the sitting room, but not on this website.

Personally I would delete ALL TV, media, and public speaking that uses foul language. If, as it has been suggested, the language content of Peaky Blinders is "disgraceful", then the programme should be withdrawn, or revised. No doubt the programme writers, directors and producers will argue their own corner, and to their own advantage.

I am most pleased that the posting was deleted, and I always use the remote control for the same purpose.

I doubt that anyone really cares a jot about my opinion, but I feel there is a little bit of hypocrisy going on here.

Eddie

I`m with you Eddie on the subject of foul language on tv. I think we all know that "hardened criminals" use foul language, but do we have to hear it? If the tv producers can`t portray the fear these criminals give out without swearing then they`re not very good at their job. We know that people swear, & they also spit, urinate & defacate, pick their nose. Will we soon be watching these things in the name of realism? Is it any wonder that the kids today swear as if it`s all part of normal conversation.? End of rant.

Re: 'The Gangs of Birmingham' - (The Peaky Blinders)

All the why's and wherefores do not matter in the least, where profanity is allowed and where it is not matters even less. The rules of this forum are that it's not allowed here, and that should be the end of it.

Re: 'The Gangs of Birmingham' - (The Peaky Blinders)

I missed the post complained about but as I was once the victim of an abusive comment on the Forum which the Moderators dealt with can I ask that the matter now be closed.

What I really want to say is that on the BBC local news this lunchtime (Monday) they were reporting on the filming of the new series of Peaky Blinders at the Black country Museum. I expect they will show it again at 6.30 this evening

Thanks for your post David, I will watch out for that this evening.
Can't wait for the next series.
It is no secret to either the members on here or my husband that I am in love with Thomas Shelby,I don't even mind his dodgy haircut,LOL.
Alberta

Of course, foul language was used. BUT why not use language that WAS used in the day? The word that is most used, is the word F--K this word was used per the interenet as early as 1775 It was NOT in any dictonary from 1795-1965 it only appeated in 1972. SO my question is, What WORDS did the bloody criminals use in the days the series is about? If you are going to make a program authentic. why not use authentic lauguage. Film it in modern times, then used moden language. As I have said before from 1933 ro 1957 when I left England I had NEVER heard the word By the way, this is the Birmingham HISTORY forum, RIGHT then. should we not be interested in HISTORY? John Crump

John, I have deleted another unacceptable word from your post , not only unacceptable to me but other admin members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone got any information as to when the new series is being shown. Alberta

Last edited:
Peaky Blinders season 3 starts 5 May @ 9.00 on BBC2 Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4
This is a watercolour I painted fairly recently of the Garrison Tavern (1950,s) for a member, is this the same 'Garrison' pub used by the peaky blinders ?? EricGarrison Tavern (2).jpg

I don't know what to make of last nights episode.
Still love the characters even though my Tommy got married.
The story however to use a Grandma saying 'a bit far fetched' and only a glance of Brum.

If you mean "Small Heath, Birmingham" which was filmed up north somewhere with a computer generated background of the factories!

Even the mansion in "Warwickshire" was filmed up in Cheshire somewhere.

Not YOUR Tommy Alberta, he's MINE! The computer generated street in Small Heath took a look of swallowing. Never would there have been those gantry's across the street, and the house fronts looked unreal. However, still an interesting start to the new series. Shall continue watching. Viv.

I don't think the program ever suggested that it was an accurate story-telling. Certainly some of the backgrounds (the enormous gantry over Smallheath and the fiery furnaces next to the road in earlier episodes) are based in fantasy (I did wonder if the set designer had seen pictures of Hamstead colliery and thought it was Small Heath). Most stories played out on TV ate only vague approximations of the truth. Shakespeare's versions of history, however wonderful is the writing, are on very dodgy ground historically in many of their details. Incidently Old Boy, as I understand it this series is likely to be largely about the racecourses.

Not YOUR Tommy Alberta, he's MINE! The computer generated street in Small Heath took a look of swallowing. Never would there have been those gantry's across the street, and the house fronts looked unreal. However, still an interesting start to the new series. Shall continue watching. Viv.

I know what you mean, Viv and Mike, about the streets looking completely wrong.

My husband asked if snow was the word for cocaine at that time - I don't know.

maria

Hi Maria. Might well have been. An online dictionary I've just checked says Snow Balls in the 1920s were cocaine parties, so probably that's probably right. Never heard of it before. Viv.

Hi Maria. Might well have been. An online dictionary I've just checked says Snow Balls in the 1920s were cocaine parties, so probably that's probably right. Never heard of it before. Viv.

Thanks, Viv. A lot of these slang terms are older than we think. Am I imagining it, or did someone refer to a snow ball last night? Otherwise I've read it somewhere recently.

maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back