• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barker and Allen

kalli25

Brummie babby
My Grandad use to work at Barker and Allen. I am not sure exactly when...i do know that he died in 1964.
The story goes that whilst working there he saved the life of a fellow worker; who he pushed out of the way of a lorry approaching the weighbridge, he in turn fell backwards and broke his spine.
Is there any chance of any factory records or newspaper reports being around still, so I can find out more.
Any information regarding this would be great.
:)
Thank you

hi kallie
very intresting story which branch did he work in what area there was afew areas
i worked in argle street nechells in the sixtys
i am surte there will be some trace also i know another member of this site whom worked at the dudley branch for years our dear friend mossy he may be able to direct you
best wishes adstonion

Thanks for responding.
I think he worked at the Spring Hill one which was somewhere near Dudley Road Hospital. Does that sound right?

hi kel
yes it does ring a bell with me and i know the place i lived down the rd from it
and also our other friend on the forum whom worked there is mossy
so when he picks up on this thread i know he will respond and may be give you your answers
you want to know and mossy is a great lad if he can recall it he will say yes
i knew mossy many years ago when we was both young
i worked the other side of the city in nechells in the electro plating department
as the charge hand in the electro of barker and allens
best wishes astonion

hello, i used to drive a lorry for Newman-Tonks in the 70's and i think there was a Barker and Allan in Camden st and i used to deliver screws to be anodised there, please correct me if i have the wrong place ,but it sounds familiar to me for some reason. thank you in advance and all have a happy new year.

shardeen

hi shardeen
happy new year to you
sorry but yes you are slightly mistaken that company you are thinking of was
wilmot and breedon
barker and allen wasd on dudley rd just up from spring hll
and there main entrance was facving weston rd and the pub just out side the works gate was the
BA PUB NAMELY THE BIRMINGHAM ARMS PUB
wilmotts and breedon was in camden st spring hill

Yes Astonian is right ..the factory was just over the bridge on Spring Hill/Dudley Road.. on the left hand side going towards the hospital from town ..Just by the BA pub

My brother worked for Barker and Allen in 80s, but him and a few others were caught clocking each other in and out - hence 'the sack'

hi carol
that was very naughty it is a sackable offence in every part of one life no matter or whom you working for any company that catches an employee its instant sack and its also constitues embeselment
but it depends how much you have creamed off and the length of the duration its been done
agaist the company but companies are quite happy to stop your wages and pay you nothink rather dragging it into court
if my memory serves me correctly i serem to recall our fellow member and friend in is younger days
mossy being working there at the time this occured he came home and told a close friend of his and
and a close friend of mine at home about these guys getting the sack for doing that on the clock
there was a regular practice duiring that time you spoke off at the company
incidently speaking may i add mosdsy was not one of them nor associated with it
so going back to your last enquiry about a driver haveing beemn saved he may recall that incident to you and he may have been there only time will tell if and when mossy reads your thread he may throw some light on it for you best wishes astonion

Astonian, yes you are right and must admit he was gutted and knew it was wrong so it was the risk he took, dont know what his missus said when he got home though.

My great Grandfather, Joseph Chapman (1889-1951) also worked at Baxter & Allen on Spring Hill. He is listed on the census as an Annealer. Does anyone know if there would be any records or photographs of the factory anywhere?

HI VILLAFANUK
There would be pics of the company in the central libary and in old history books of carl chinns magerzines of old brum
also there is a possible chance that one or two older members may have a picture or two of barker and allens on dudley rd
as aew years ago we discussed this with our memberswhom have worked there as well
andalso there might be a chance that our jim the owner may have afe in the archive of his collection
and out side the barker and allen main gates on there entry to the factory was a pub called the B,A Public house ; which every day most of the employees would spend there lunch time for dinner if they was working the day shift or even any shift they would go in after workfor a quickie
before going home and it wa a good payig company if you got a job thre you was lucky there was a waiting lit to get emloyed there
and the only chance was also if you had a relsative you could get in
it you are patient some one will find you one as they have been on this forum afew years ago [ pictures and there stories]
best wishes astonian

Hi Astonian,

Who did you work for in Argyle st? Was it John Webbs on the Delta metal site?

I worked in the garage on the Delta sit from 1965 to1985

Regards

Dave Ed

hi dave ;
so you worked there when i was there during that period we must have crossed pathes and even spoke to each other at some point
yes i worked for him and also i was foreman in the electro department and a guy called alf was the senior gather
he was a stickler ; nice guy really he sacked a guy for singng all day ;but the guy he sacked was a old west indian guy
from witton ; i went back into alfs office and told him to reistate and not to sack him as he aint done nothink wrong
he may be jigging around and singinging all day but he always kept the wpork flow going and i said he was he bes in the department
so he said go and tell him he his reinstated ; he was chuffed as beans he had alot of kids depending on his wages and he thanked me for it ;
yes it was a great place to work and for ; sadley how times have changed dave ;
have a nice day dave best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Hi, I'm new to this excellent site and have been enthralled trawling through many of the posts. One of my interests is regarding my Grandfather, Thomas Benjamin Deakin 1885 to 1943 who worked at Barker and Allen on Spring Hill as an Annealer. My Mother used to tell me stories of her being sent by her own Mother to meet her Dad coming out of work to take his wages off him before he went into the local pub. She also mentioned that she would be made to wait outside the pub until he was ready to go home and would buy her a custard pie (I think) to keep her happy whilst waiting. It would be great to see a photograph of the works and the local pub to give me a view of what life was like at that time. My Grand Parents lived in the Back to Backs on Spring Hill on the same side as BarKer and Allen opposite College Street.

Hi
My grandfather worked for Barker and Allen for over 50 years. He started in 1915 and retired in 1965. I have inherited his engraved gold watch that was presented to him in recognition of fifty years service. His name was Joseph Fantham. The factory was in Dudley Road by the Birmingham Arms pub. The original archway on an outer wall in still standing. (2016) During a night raid in World War ll the place was incendiary bombed and he was rushed to Dudley Road Hospital which was situated across the road where his very serious burns were treated. They undoubtedly saved his life. I lived in Pitsford street for the first four years of my life (1953-1957)

Welcome 5Deltics. Good to hear about your grandfather and Barker & Allen. I was wondering if you were referring to these arches being connected to the factory? The Birmingham Arms looks to be in a sorry state according to Google. Enjoy the Forum. Viv.

image.png image.png

The original archway,was that the one you went through to get onto the car park?I never asked what that section did during my time at B&A,be interesting to know.
Worked there '76-'83,good times.

Hi deltics5
Yes indeed I do recall the Archway to enter up through the exits I am just trying to recall the year they took
The arch down the side pillars remained but the actual arch was removed
We have a forum member by the name of mossy whom is an old friend of mine going back
Many years now from at least the sixtys I worked at argle street under john and Alf I was the assistant manager
To them and I was the shop charge hand whilst mossy worked at dudley road we both used the B A pub
As it was one of my locals including our other friends from dudley road and Winson. Green Area
Mossy now lives in Weston ,but I do not know when he gets to come on he will probably know
When the Arch disappeared best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,

Back