• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwickshire Home Guard

Checking UK death records for Tibitts/Tibbitts and Tibetts/Tibbetts in Birmingham

No death recorded for a George Tibetts/Tibbetts in UK 1940/1941

deaths for George Tibitts none,

deaths for George Tibbitts

George Tibbitts born 1899 death registered March 1941 this would cover the last qtr of 1940 and first qtr of 1941
As there were no births of George Tibbitts in UK 1899 I presume that he was the one born 1898.

I don't know if this helps or not. Probate shows there is a George Tibbitts who died 26 December 1940 and lived at 95 Perry Common Road, Erdington. Probate granted to his widow Dorothy. He died in General Hospital. This, I think, is the death registered March 1941.

I think the other George's death is registered at Lichfield in Dec 1941 - birth 1887.
Janice

Perhaps a search at the library of the burial records might give information about the address of the person buried in that grave?

Janice

thank you all for helping me and my family regarding George tibbitts
kind regards kc

Hi I am Maggie the person who took the photo. Karen i did email you to the addy i was given but it seems it was the wrong one, however there now seems to be a problem
regarding this . I will email the person I am in touch with at the Church and also the warden, who were very helpful when i was photographing the war graves and tracked down for me a grave i was looking for she apparently does the recording of the graves so may come up with a solution.

I had a query on this person as the warden had told me the burial was there but the records were at another church, I had emailed the lady afterwards on 18th May querying this but she replied did not know anything about it. As I was just taking photos i let it be but I will follow that up by emailing her again. I will obviously let you know the outcome. They do have a book of all the names of both wars and details. I was given permission to photocopy the book so I will see what other details there are for him in there
In the meantime if you contact the war graves commission with I'm sure you can get it sorted I am a volunteer for the WGPP who work with CWGC and they have this photo along with the others so will let them know also
If i can be of any more help do let me know
regards
Maggie

hi Maggie
thank you for all your work you have done my mom was only 2 when he died so she cant really remember a lot since iv started to this tree I found his grave I felt so sad for him names was wrong and he was pushed in the corner my mom would like to take a like has she cant remember much . she is the only child still alive her brother and sister have passed away
kind regards karen

Last edited:
hi all
im looking for any pictures of home guards post office this is where George tibbitts served perry barr Birmingham
kind regards kc

hi Maggie
can you tell me if you had any joy with finding anymore info regarding George tibbitts please
kind regards karen

In case this is of interest here are some pictures from the Bournville Magazine in 1941 showing new recruits from Bournville into B Company. 27th Warwickshire home Guard.

Attachments

• Bournville Home guard B Cmpy. 27th Warwickshire. Bournville MagC..jpg
    Bournville Home guard B Cmpy. 27th Warwickshire. Bournville MagC..jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 29
Thanks very much for those images, Mike. They are certainly fascinating to me and will be to the many others who have an interest in HG history. I intend to use them at some stage, if that's OK with you. Have to say that there will be consternation in some quarters at the cosy image suggested by ladies joining the men for afternoon tea during a weekend camp! Dents the macho impression which then and later the Home Guard wanted to project and rather reinforces the Dad's Army one!

Are you aware of any further HG mentions in that magazine? And is there a specific date in 1941 for that issue of the Bournville Magazine?

Chris

Chris.
I wondered if you might have an interest in them.Glad that is so. Use them, they do not belong to me. I'm afraid I do not have a certain month in 1941 when that issue was published, but it might have been December. I am sure that the Home Guard will have been mentioned in other issues. I have quite a lot of the old magazines which I rescued many years ago. Unfortunately they were all put in my loft and I have been meaning to bring them down to study for some time (years). When I do I will look at those of the war period and check it out

Chris.
Have just found an old Bournville Reporter from the 100th anniversary of Bournville in 1979. It mentions that on Sept. 4th that year there was a program on BBC TV called "Midlands at War" in which some films of the Bournville Home guard were included and two members, Ray Richards & Norman Sabin were shown chatting about life in the Bournville home guard. Don't know if the film still exists.

kind regards kc

kc,

A bit of further information has emerged concerning your grandfather, George Tibbitts, and the circumstances surrounding his tragic death on Boxing Day 1940. You may of course already be aware of it. It now appears in my Home Guard website here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscencesWarkssstaffshg.htm#post

No group photographs of the Post Office Home Guard Battalion in which he served seem yet to have surfaced.

Chris

kind regards kc

kc,

A bit of further information has emerged concerning your grandfather, George Tibbitts, and the circumstances surrounding his tragic death on Boxing Day 1940. You may of course already be aware of it. It now appears in my Home Guard website here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscencesWarkssstaffshg.htm#post

No group photographs of the Post Office Home Guard Battalion in which he served seem yet to have surfaced.

Chris

hi chris
thank you for your reply regarding my grand-dad George tibbitts could you please tell me where and how to get a copy of the newspaper report please
kind regards kc

I obtained a copy indirectly but I'll try and find out the original source.

Chris

thank you chris
what I cant understand about my grand-dad chris that is grave is war grave I would like to know when this was put they or was they a mark before thanks kc

On the CWGC website it just lists the fact that he is buried at the churchyard but on the details of the headstone it says "upkeep by family". I am not sure of the significance of this. As he was going on duty I assume it counted as killed on service?
Janice

Back