• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Inns / pubs in Great Hampton Street - Help Please

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Researching my ancestor James Patrick who was listed in 1833 Wrightson Triennial Directory of Birmingham as: Vict. 120 Great Hampton Street. His Name was Joseph Patrick. In 1841 census his wife Mary is listed as an Inn Keeper in Great Hampton Street. Would appreciate help if anyone knows the difference between an Inn Keeper and a Licenced Victualler? And another cheeky question, does anyone know the names of any Inn's in Great Hampton Street around that time - its possible they may have kept it? I have only found the Lord Clifton that possibly dates from that time, so any of your thoughts would be great.

Hi Debbie

Here a couple for a start the Minerva Vaults dates from c1825, The Church Inn dates from c1845, though I'm not saying the pubs that may be there today are the original ones because they may have been rebuilt at sometime. Also I believe the Leopard Inn was in Great Hampton Street and that was quite old. There was also the Gothic c1900 and the Tree's, I'm sorry I have no date foe the Tree's.

Just run your mouse over the photo for the name of the pub.

Attachments

• Hockley Church Inn Great Hampton St.JPG
    Hockley Church Inn Great Hampton St.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Hockley Great Hampton Street Minerva Vaults.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton Street Minerva Vaults.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Hockley Leopard Inn Great Hampton St 1901 .jpg
    Hockley Leopard Inn Great Hampton St 1901 .jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Hockley Trees Inn Great Hampton St.JPG
    Hockley Trees Inn Great Hampton St.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Hockley Hampton St Great Hampton Row Gothic Inn.jpg
    Hockley Hampton St Great Hampton Row Gothic Inn.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 51
hi phil hope you dont mind a couple of corrections...the trees is at hockley hill and the minerva was at gt hampton row not street...both the trees and the minerva buildings are still standing but no longer pubs..

lyn

Lyn

I don't mind being put right at anytime, if we don't get told about our errors we never learn. It's the same old story, it's the photos they are all tagged Great Hampton Street, as it's not one of the areas I'm familiar with I would have never known unless told.

Hi
Great information on Great Hampton Street, noticed you have a photo of Great Hampton Street/ Corner of Vyse Street c 1899 showing the premises of John Glew and Co Ltd who was my partners Great Great Great Uncle. The business was started in 1859 on your post you have it down as John Glew who married Tamar Carroll in 1882 but he was the son.
I have researching the Glew tree for about 5 years, John Glew had a number of premises in Birmingham Aston & Nechells I have other photos but never came across this one.
I would like to know if it would be possible for me to get a copy of the photo without the watermark.

Thanks Cath Glew

Hi
Great information on Great Hampton Street, noticed you have a photo of Great Hampton Street/ Corner of Vyse Street c 1899 showing the premises of John Glew and Co Ltd who was my partners Great Great Great Uncle. The business was started in 1859 on your post you have it down as John Glew who married Tamar Carroll in 1882 but he was the son.
I have researching the Glew tree for about 5 years, John Glew had a number of premises in Birmingham Aston & Nechells I have other photos but never came across this one.
I would like to know if it would be possible for me to get a copy of the photo without the watermark.

Thanks Cath Glew

Yes, the John Glew I mention was the son who managed the business after his father John, a former coal dealer. I assume the firm were the same Glew firm that operated a warehouse in Broad Street and who got into a lot of trouble for storing explosives! The business seems to have gone to pot following the early death of John Glew and was taken over in some sort of deal that makes the current owners of BHS look squeaky clean. It all went pear-shaped for Thomas Grove in the end and the firm was taken over by Newbury's by the start of WW1. By the way, the image is to be made available as a postcard soon so you'll be able to pick one up easily.

great info midland pubs...i look on your site often....i was wondering if you would be able to dig up info on a pub called the bath tavern that was in brougham st so far i have never been able to find a photo of it...many thanks

lyn

great info midland pubs...i look on your site often....i was wondering if you would be able to dig up info on a pub called the bath tavern that was in brougham st so far i have never been able to find a photo of it...many thanks

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I post most updates on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/midlandspubs.co.uk but thought I'd mention this one on the Forum as it was quite a bit of work compiling a page for Great Hampton Street and The Gothic - must be something of interest to users in all the research it took!

I may have mentioned it before that I have spent a vast sum of money on old photographs. I have a lovely collection of pub photos from all around the Midlands and yet I am always frustrated by the number that I haven't got - or, in many cases, never seen or heard of a photograph of a given pub. It is likely that most pubs were captured on film at some point because the photographs [generally less than a dozen] could easily be sold to the publican or local residents, particularly following the postcard boom of the Edwardian era. I have done the rounds of the usual outlets and retailers of historic images and in general a couple of copies normally survive, some perhaps in which only a single image has managed to hang in there until a collector saved and preserved it. But, and I'm sure you know what I'm about to say, there are some pubs of which I know no image exists - unless an OAP collector's treasure trove suddenly emerges on the market. This sort of event is increasingly rare - one of the last great collections was that of Stephen Penker and, following his death, was snapped up at a Birmingham auction house. The images subsequently appeared individually on e-bay with hefty price tags. I emptied my piggy bank on what I could afford. This is a rather circuitous way of saying I haven't got an image of the Bath Tavern! Sorry.

hi midlandpubs yes its very frustrating trying to find pics of certain pubs but i never give up...i do have a lot of info already on the bath tavern including that there was actually an open air bath at the back of it this would have been in the 1860s...also got plenty of newpapers articles about the actual baths...in later years it became a bowling green..pub demolished in the 1930s and licence transfered to the college arms kingstading...but so far a pic of this pub eludes me:(....fingers crossed one will turn up somewhere

lyn

forgot to mention that it took me years to find a pic of the pub closest to my heart...the vine inn villa st which was opposite my old house...just happened to mention it to an old neighbour who asked his elderly uncle and low and behold he had one of the vine in his private collection..its the only one found to date..

lyn

Sorry it's taken a while to respond, thanks for the information on John Glew's Business From "Midlandspubs" back in April. I would love to hear more about the story of the storing of explosives in their warehouse on board street or any other information\storys\pictures as these have been very difficult to come across.
You mentioned the take over deal when John Glew died would of made Bhs look squeaky clean do you know what happened ? I would love to know.
Hope to hear from you soon Cath.

When I left school my first job was at a garage in Gt Hampton St. Herbert Pollitt's, I recall I used to have to collect a pig food bin (for the bosses farm) from a café called the Pelican, the building it occupied looked as though at some time in the past it could have been a pub.

Pollitt's garage stood back from the road, a vacant space in front was possibly a cleared bombed site.

worth me mentioning eric that there was a pub called the pelican round the corner in hockley st...i used to work there in the early 80s

lyn

Hi Lynn
Hope you are well ,
I was wondering whether or not by any chancecluld you tell me whether that the pub
On the corner of Finch road and Heathfield road namely the stork public House Still there or not
It dated as going back to 1907 on a post card and stated the licence was a T Bus hill
The pub sold Butler,s Wolverhampton Ales , no mention of the post card publishers
Many thanks and keep up the brilliant hard work you are doing for us
Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Lynn,
As there been any alterations within or out side of the pub
Its amazing to learn its still up and running since 1907 Do we have anymore pubs in brum like from that era
That's still going strong today because a lot of them are getting extinct
We'll I know of one the old crown in digbeth or what about the Dog pub down digbeth
Any reporting of that or the Anchor
Thanks again Lynn best wishes as always Alan,, Astonian,,,

That's cor
hi phil hope you dont mind a couple of corrections...the trees is at hockley hill and the minerva was at gt hampton row not street...both the trees and the minerva buildings are still standing but no longer pubs..

lyn
Hi there..yes your correct.. I was the licensee in 1999... of the Great Hampton Pub..it was called The Minerva Vaults originally..and yes it was still an original building.. its still standing..but no longer trading as a pub..im certain it was a listed building.....

hi bushbaby well the minerva is certainly old enough to be listed (circa 1825) suffered bomb damage during ww2 and 3 people lost their lives.... the last time i managed to get a look in the there it had been totally gutted inside and it is being used as a clothing warehouse by the looks of it...so sad to see it in its present state as i spent many happy hours in that pub..if i remember correctly we still had to use an outside toilet...how long were you at the pub for?? if you have any photos of it would love to see them...all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Back