• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Hi Terry, I lost my 'right click' some time ago ... some websites temporarily disable it to stop 'save as' on their images. To get it back on my laptop I did following

Went into Win 10 settings
Devices
Mouse and Touch Pad
Additional mouse options

Worked through the various options until I could uninstall the driver.

Restarted the laptop and Win 10 found a driver and reinstalled it.

My right click then worked ....

Would that work with a desktop though?

Hi Terry - It should work on any Windows 10 computer. It is not a drastic action, Windows will always search for a driver if it finds hardware without one. I used it once to sort out my DVD player on a desktop by uninstalling the DVD driver and then let Windows find one on restart. I suppose you could also do a Google search for answers to your mouse problem.

While it is great to have the Windows Start menu back I still find the "tiles" (the coloured square boxes on the menu) very distracting and I almost never use them.
I rarely use the 'Start' menu but a click on the little white window icon shows it if I want it. I only see the 'Start' if I want the 'All Apps' list or to force a restart.

When I start my laptop I see this ...
Screenshot (14).jpg
it looks remarkably like Windows 7.

All the apps I regularly use are pinned to the taskbar with a few icons on the desktop screen.
Windows 10 seems reliable now ... a big anniversary upgrade rumoured to be available in July !

Is everyone aware there are two different ways to logon to Windows 10?

One is using your email address and password. This is the way Microsoft prefer so they can keep a track of what you do on your computer and link it to your email address.

It also has some other advantages (such as syncing between other devices)

However the other way is to use a "simple" logon (what Microsoft call a "local account") like say "John" or some other single word or phrase.

If you already have Windows 10 set up to logon with an email address it is easy to convert it to a "local account".

Here are the instructions (p.s. I have not followed all these instruction so trust they are still correct). Please let me know if they are not

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5374-local-account-switch-windows-10-a.html

I have two accounts in my Windows devices.
A Local Account password protected.
A Microsoft Account also password protected.

I originally set up with the local and added the Microsoft Account later.
Lately I seem to use the Microsoft account more because of OneDrive which automatically picks up every photo I take with my iPhone when I'm out and about.

Help please! Probably one of those easy when you know how questions. When on "photos" app the tool bar which is on the left vertical edge of the screen sits on top of the photograph so that the navigation arrow on the left is obscured therefore you can't get back to a previous picture. It hasn't always been like this. Thanks.

Hi devonjim ... I've just had a play with the app and notice if I position the pointer on the edge of the display I can drag it to any size either larger or smaller than the photo. If I drag an edge to smaller than the photo both navigation buttons disappear and I can't move to the next pic. See screenshot below where I've dragged it smaller than the photo.
Capture.JPG
So it is best to drag the edges to be larger than the photo and the nav buttons should reappear.

Last edited:
Hi devonjim ... I've just had a play with app and notice if I position the pointer on the edge of the display I can drag it to any size either larger or smaller than the photo. If I drag an edge to smaller than the photo both navigation buttons disappear and I can't move to the next pic. See screenshot below where I've dragged it smaller.
View attachment 105760
So it is best to drag the edges to be larger than the photo and the nav buttons should reappear.
Thanks,
I can pick up the edges and drag from TOP, BOTTOM & RIGHT but cannot pick up the Left hand edge, which is sitting beneath the tool bar. I have done a screenshot to try and show what I mean. I can see the left navigation arrow beneath the tool bar, by the Skype symbol, but can't get at it!Screenshot (72).jpg

My Photos app looks different on screen to yours. The nav buttons show grey each side of the photo. My taskbar is on the bottom of the screen. I have to say I have had trouble with the Photos app and rarely use it and mainly use Picasa to view photos, the quick editor is better.
Screenshot (29).jpg

Came back to app after closing down and have now got the normal navigation arrows left and right! I don't feel I did anything to cause the recovery. Anyway thanks for the response.

Came back to app after closing down and have now got the normal navigation arrows left and right! I don't feel I did anything to cause the recovery. Anyway thanks for the response.
It's surprising how many computer problems can be solved by a close down and restart ... :D

I had not recently used 'Photos' until seeing your post and might start using it again, it is a nice 'built-in' Windows app.

My favourite browser is Chrome but have recently got Edge to properly import and display my Chrome bookmarks with folders and icons and now consider Edge easier to use than IE.

Windows 10 is now (for me) very stable and we will soon have the 'Anniversary Update' to look forward to when the free upgrade year ends in July ...

Spoke too soon because there I was browsing the forum on this sunny Monday morning and Windows 10 on my laptop suddenly crashed with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.
Microsoft collected info and then restarted my laptop ... :rolleyes:

Screenshot (76).jpg Sorry! Me again, in trouble. Outlook e-mails has gone weird. Usually when I open the programme I get folders on the left of the screen and a list of the in-box contents to the right of the list of folders. I am now getting a list of folders and then nothing to their right and the in box contents down below, see my effort to illustrate this.
I've switched off and re booted but it returns the same way. What have I done?

I notice that Outlook Mail was upgraded on Fri 17th June to a 'bolder smarter Outlook.com', see the email I received from them on 17th June. Perhaps this is the reason your layout has changed. Your layout looks better than mine !
I never use Outlook, it just came along with Win 10. I test it occasionally to keep it alive !
Screenshot (53).jpg

Sometimes you just wish things would be left as they were. I have had access to two designs of Outlook Mail, the one I preferred was what had been the "Hotmail" design. Much easier to use than the MS version! It's the old Hotmail version that has just been messed up/changed. Trying to herd us to their own version? What a cynic I am. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know for certain as I have a different version but it might be the settings. Try clicking on the "white cog" next to your name top right and seeing what is ticked.

Janice
View attachment 106389 Sorry! Me again, in trouble. Outlook e-mails has gone weird. Usually when I open the programme I get folders on the left of the screen and a list of the in-box contents to the right of the list of folders. I am now getting a list of folders and then nothing to their right and the in box contents down below, see my effort to illustrate this.
I've switched off and re booted but it returns the same way. What have I done?

Thanks Janice, Whole bag of worms beneath that white cog! Reading pane "right" selected, which seems to be what I have previously experienced. I guess I shall have to adapt to the Outlook Mail version.

I knew different versions had different things as I have a work email which is very different from home email although both are Outlook!!

Janice

Back