• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

"Wishhanger Abbey" Sir Harry's Road Edgbaston

W

Wendy

Can anyone help with a map of this road. This was the residence of the Bollinbroke Partridge family around 1900 to 1920's. This is more Key Hill research and not related to my family.
Any help greatly appreciated.:)

I live about 5 mins walk from St Harry's Road. Do you know which half it is/was in? If tou think it's still there (I would think that it is), I'll pop down and take a photo when I take the dog for a walk

Wendy
In the 1904 Kellys it is just called Wishanger, and is occupied by Charles Bollingbroke Partridge. In the map, with Bristol road to left, and Pershore rd to right, it is the red building (map is c 1914)
Mike

map_c_1913___wishanger_2C_sir_harrys_road.jpg

Sadly, this section of Sir Harry's Road no longer has the big houses. At a guess, it was redeveloped in the 1970s (before the conservation area was created), when a number Victorian and Georgian Houses were taken down and higher density modern housing added. What a shame...

Charles Bolingbroke Partridge (77) lived at Wishanger with wife Elizabeth Jane (76) and daughters Bertha Mabel (45) and Mildred Maria (43) in 1911.
They also had a servant,Nelly Louisa Reeves (45)
Charles was the director of Metallic Bedstead Co. and he and his wife had been married for 50 years at the time of the census.
They had had 5 children altogether.
Wishanger consisted of 12 rooms.

Last edited:
I've checked through all my Birmingham/Edgbaston books, but I can't find a picture of any of the houses in Sir Harry's Road. Might be worth someone looking in the photo index if they are in the library.

Wow thanks everyone this is brilliant information. I now need to find out about the Metallic Bedstead Company. The family memorial at Key Hill could do with putting back together.:)

Marriages Jun 1860
Charles Bolingbroke PARTRIDGE married Elizabeth Jane PAULL Plymouth 5b 440
Just after their marriage,they were living on the Stratford Rd,and Charles was an Iron Bedstead Clerk
Charles Partridge 27 Head born Birmingham, Warwickshire,Iron Bedstead Clerk
Elizabeth Partridge 25 Wife born Tavistock, Devon
Sarah Burton 27 Servant House Servant Wednesbury,
93 Stratford Road, Aston, Warwickshire
10 years later,and they had moved to the Moseley Rd
Charles Partridge 37 Head born Bham, Commercial Clerk
Elizabeth Partridge 35 Wife born Sanford,
Charles Partridge 9 Son born Bham,
William Partridge 8 Son born Bham, Warwickshire
Paul Partridge 6 Son born Kings Norton, Worcestershire
Bertha Partridge 5 Daughter born Kings Norton, Worcestershire
Winifred Partridge 3 Daughter born Kings Norton, Worcestershire
Maria Hitchin 39 Sister In Law born Sanford, Devon Formerly Governess
Matthew Kirby 27 Servant Domestic Servant born Stourbridge
Maria Gilbert 18 Servant Domestic Cook born Kings Norton,
215 Moseley Road, Kings Norton
Charles Partridge 57 born Kinver, Manufacturer
Elizabeth Partridge 56 Wife born Tavistock, Devonshire
Winifred Partridge 21 Daughter born Birmingham
William J Paull 64 Visitor Retired Solicitor
George William Clark 4 Visitor Weshanger Street, Edgbaston
Margaret Webster 50 Servant Domestic
living at Wishanger, Edgbaston
Charles B Partridge 67 Head born Birmingham,Retired Manufacturer
Elizabeth J Partridge 65 Wife born Tavistock, Devon
Bertha Partridge 35 Daughter born Birmingham
Mildred M Partridge 33 Daughter born Birmingham
Mary A Rippingall 62 Sister In Law Authoress & Lecturer born Tavistock, Devon
Power Elizabeth 32 Servant General Domestic Wednesbury

One name jumped out in the 1901 list - Rippingall. I wondered if it was connected to the Rippingill thread. Having looked at the original on Ancestry, I'm not sure what the name is though! Can't find the family at it at all on Findmypast (even searching on Part*), so the transcription must be way out!

CBP lived at Wishanger from 1888 till sometime between 1913 and 1915. After that first Mrs Partridge and then the Misses Partridges occupied it (which would suggest the real surname was just Partridge). Before that:

1862 Partridge, Charles B. manager, The Cottage, Sparkbrook.(I think thiis is probably him, ut haven’t found on census)
1867-8 Partridge Charles. 3 Clifton place , Moseley rd.
1872 Partridge C. 215 Moseley rd. Balsall hth (which seems to be the same house as 1868)
1876-79 Partridge Charles, 393 Moseley road
1880-1884 Partridge Charles Bolingbroke ,66 Gough road, Edgebaston
It is the same person in Moseley rd, confirmed from 1871 census (though wife is Elizabeth Jane then). Although he poncifies his name on moving to Edgebaston, the age is correct, and he is a commercial clerk in a metallic bedstead manufactory
mike

I think this is Charles' family in 1851?
William H Partridge 58 born Scotland,Member Of The Royal College Of Surgeons London
Elizabeth Partridge 54 Wife born Birmingham,
Catherine Partridge 22 Daughter born Birmingham,
William P Partridge 20 Son born Birmingham, Medical Student
John D Partridge 19 Son born Birmingham,Clerk To Iron Merchant
Charles B Partridge 17 Son born Birmingham, Apprentice To Factor
Eliza Stubbs 51 born Liverpool, Visitor
Eliza J Stubbs 14 born Uttoxeter, Visitor
Mary A Barton 25 born Blackwell, Worcestershire, Servant
Jane E Ward 25 born Birmingham,Servant
James Brown 21 born Ludlow, Shropshire
Address 13 Newhall Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire

Yes it is thanks Ladylinda his father was a surgeon in Birmingham. I have just received some more info from Will records.
Elizabeth Jane Partridge widow died 30 Nov 1917. Administration Birmingham 12 April to William John Partridge manufacturer. Effects £2819 17s 4d Resworn £1819 17s 4d.
Isabella Mary Partridge spinster died 31 December 1921 Administration (with will) Birmingham 15th May to William John Partridge Manufacturer. Effects £1297 9s 2d
Charles Bolingbroke Partridge gentleman died 30 July 1914.Probate Birmingham 28 Sept to William John Partridge manufacturer. Effects £10788 12s 3d
Now I need to find more on William John Partridge.

Hi Leslam, I thought the same as you at first,so I did a bit of digging!
Mary Anna was Elizabeth's sister.Their father was a "landed proprieter and mining engineer" (1851 census) He came from Cornwall.
In 1861,she is living with her brother William.
In 1871 she was still single.
Maria Paull aged 72,born Modbury,House Proprieter
Mary A Paull aged 32 Daughter born Tavistock, Devon,Author
Sarah E Stephens aged 16 born Plymouth,domestic Servant
Address 7 Park Street, Charles, Devon
In June 1886 she marries John Ripley,and I think the enumerator spelt it Ripleigh!
John dies between then and 1901 and in 1911,Mary is living in Plymouth.

William John Partridge 38 Head born Birmingham,Electroplater & Screw Manufacturer White
Maria Prudent 37 Wife born Birmingham,
Elizabeth Mayine 13 born Birmingham,
Charles Eric 11 born Birmingham,
Mabel Joyce 10 born Birmingham,
Minnie Helen 8 born Birmingham,
John Frederick 5 born Birmingham,
Gertrude Shipley 24 Birmingham, Servant Cook Domestic
Agnes Soden 20 Leamington, Servant House Maid Domestic
115 Gough Road, Edgbaston

I am drowning in info.....lol. This is just brilliant I assume this William is Charles B Partridge's brother. I have saved all the info to print off for the Key Hill file I hope this is OK.

Hi Wendy,William is his son (post 8)
William John PARTRIDGE, Head aged 48 born 1863 Birmingham,Managing Director Screw Factory And Plating Factory
Maria Prideaux Wife aged 47 born 1864 Sunderland Durham
Elizabeth Marjorie Daughter aged 23 born 1888 Birmingham Warwickshire
Charles Eric Son aged 21 born born 1890 Birmingham,Manager Of Screw Factory
Mabel Joyce Daughter aged 20 born 1891 Birmingham
Minnie Helen Daughter aged 18 born 1893 Birmingham
John Frederick Son aged 15 born 1896 Birmingham
Ellen MILLS, Servant aged 22 born 1889 Housemaid Domestic Eastham Worcestershire
Christiana WISE, Servant aged 24 born 1887 Cook Domestic
Married 24 years
115 Gough Road, Edgbaston

Thanks for that Linda I must say I have been so busy saving all the info the relationships got past me. I will now print and read through them again. I can't thank you enough for this help. It will all go into the Key Hill Archive.

At first I thought the firm that CBP had was called The Metallic Bed manufacturers, but I was mistaken and it carried the Partridge name.:
Before 1883 C.B.Partrisge not ;listed, but was a Frederick George PPartridge, electroplater at 15 Tenby Road. Also before and after this date was Partridge & co, furnishing ironmongers at 97 High St. this could be a connected firm that sold beds.
1883-84 Partridge C.B.& Sons,nickel & silver.platers, 12 New Bond st
(in these years it also lists separately Charles.B & Charles Harold as nickel platers at firm)
1888-92 Partridge C.B.& Sons,nickel & silver.platers,11 &12 New Bond st
1895-97 Partridge Charles Bolingbroke & Sons, nickel platers &gilders, North wood street
1899-05 Partridge C.B. & Sons Nickel platers &, 115 Northwood St
1908 Partridges Ltd, Nickel platers, 115 Northwood St.
1912-15 Partridges Limited, nickel platers & screw makers, Northwood street.
1921 Partridges Limited, nickel platers, Northwood St
1932 Partridges Ltd. nickel platers 113 & 115, & screw mkrs.128 & 138, Northwood st. T A " Parlim, Birmingham;"
1943 Partridges Ltd. Screw and lubricator mkrs. 128 & 138 Northwood st 3.T A " Parlim,
1944 Partridges Ltd. Screw mks. 128 & 138 Northwood st 3.T A " Parlim,
1949-50 Partridges Ltd. Screw mks. 138 Northwood st 3.T A " Parlim,
1955-66 Partridges Ltd. lubricator mfrs. 134 Northwood st 3.T A " Parlim, Birmingham
1967 No 134 Northwood St is part of A.E.Harris, stampers
Mike

1888-90 Partridge Wm. John 37 Princess Road
1892-97 Partridge Wm. John, 13 Speedwell Road
1899-1940 Partridge Wm. John, 115 Gough road,Edgbaston
1943 Partridge Mrs. Maria Prideaux , 115 Gough road,Edgbaston
Mike

Hi Mike again this information is just excellent I will copy it and add to the records. It helps having hard copies as some of the people involved do not have computers. Thanks again this is so kind of you to give your time to help me, many thanks. Wendy.

115 Gough Road still there (nice looking house)
Will look for number 66 tomorrow on my way home (can't look on both sides of the road at the same time!!)

Do you need photos Wendy

Leslam photo's would be great as it all adds to the interest. This is very kind of you.

The servant at this address on the 1911 is actually in my tree ( Nelly Louisa Reeves)...but perhaps of more interest is that her more prosperous relatives were also living in this road in 1911/1912 at 8, Sir Harry' Road..this was the Brough's who were booksellers/dealers... Small world !!!

Margaret.

How interesting so now we have two links one to the Rippingill family and another to yours......amazing!

Are any of your Brough's in Key Hill there are a few there.

Last edited by a moderator:
66 Gough Road doesn't appear to exist anymore - that part of Gough Road has been developed and is now called Woodview Drive.

Hello again, Wendy, I have not looked into burials for Brough's at all. Are there any "lists" on-line at all ....... or does it mean searching in B'ham library ????

Margaret.

I can get access to someone with an index of names which have dates and plot numbers. If you don't want to post the names send them by instant message and I will see if any of your names are there.

I may very well do that Wendy..I just need to get my names & dates together...thank you.

Margaret.

Back