• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clover Chinese Restaurant, Cannon Street

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I've mentioned this before as a regular lunchtime place when my office was in St Philips Place. Just going through some old B'hamPost "specials" and found this pic. It's in "The Victorians" 24.2.1992

Attachments

• City Cannon Clover Restaurant.jpg
    City Cannon Clover Restaurant.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
David, the Clover Chinese Restaurant was a favourite of mine for years and I always went there even after I had left Brum and returned for a visit. I believe the same family owned right through from the late l950's. The food was excellent as I remember it. When did it close do you know?

Thanks David for the photo. Happy Days.

Admittedly there wasn't as much restaurant competition in the late 60s but it always seemed very popular and most people knew it. The lunchtime 'businessman's menu' did a roaring trade and although I expect my memory is playing tricks I seem to recall 2 courses costing not much more than a pound! Can't help with the closure date though.

Bob

I used The Clover regularly. In 1965 I'd arranged to meet my husband there after my latest pregnancy check @ Loveday Street. Some stupid student doc had decided to... erm... 'make sure' the baby had stayed where it should be after being in breech position. Met husband and, halfway through me chicken and pineapple with boiled rice, I was complaining that I couldn't get comfortable (made sure I managed to finish the meal though - I wasn't THAT uncomfortable!) Our son was born later that night.

Jennyann
I left B'ham about 10 years ago and the Clover was already shut (I think!). I know that the guy who owned it (name escapes me) had to leave when they were re-vamping Cannon Street. Smashing bloke, he put me on to whole baked sea bass with ginger and spring onion sauce. Yum!
The lunch time specials were great value as Glaciermint says.

I've mentioned this before as a regular lunchtime place when my office was in St Philips Place. Just going through some old B'hamPost "specials" and found this pic. It's in "The Victorians" 24.2.1992
I couldn't see the photo of the clover!! I'm not sure what is wrong but id love to see it

hi phil there is a notice at the top of the main page explaining why earlier images can not be viewed...if the original poster in this case david fowler spots your post he maybe able to repost the photo of the clover for you...enjoy the forum

lyn

I had my first ever meal at The Clover when I was with my soon to be sister in law who had been looking for a wedding dress. Delicious - been hooked on soy sauce since.

Used to go to The Clover Chinese Restaurant a lot in the 1960's.I remember the Manager who was always there to greet you. The food was very good. On visits to Brum I would meet my riends there for a meal. I was sure I had a photo of the restaurant but can't locate it at the moment. Lunch specials were great value I remember.

hi scarlet hopefully the poster will see this and repost the photo for you..if you can not see photos its because the forum was hacked about 4 years back and we lost all of our images...we are doing our best to replace them where we can..

all the best

lyn

hi scarlet hopefully the poster will see this and repost the photo for you..if you can not see photos its because the forum was hacked about 4 years back and we lost all of our images...we are doing our best to replace them where we can..

all the best

lyn
Ok thank you
xx

scarlet i have emailed david fowler to ask him to repost the pic of the clover if he still has it...

lyn

David

I hope you don't mind but I have placed a copy of the photo back in it's original position at the start of the thread.

Back