• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Arms Great Barr Street in 1841

ellie

master brummie
The 1841 census shows a girl Hannah Stringer in Gt Barr Street. I am sure the words in the first column reda as "Kings Arms" Would this be some sort of beer house?

As I checked the next pages on the census I saw her future husband was listed with his familyin the same street not far away.

The romantic in me thinking that as they lived so close this is how they met.

Hannah was not with her family at this adress so it must have been owned by somebody else.

Interested in anything you may have about a place of residence in the 1841 census. It was in Gr Barr Street and I think it is called "Kings Arms"

I have found a relative living there by the name of Hannah Stringer.

In 1849 the kings Arms are run by John Smith and are at 99 Gt. Barr St. It was still there in 1972.
mike

If you look at this page from the midlandspubs website, and spool down to Great Barr Street, you will see the Kings Arms listed as a pub (though without a live link to further information). It might be worth contacting the site in case there is anything else they can tell you, though. I had some great help recently from them about another Birmingham pub.

Angela

I don’t think your ancestor was the landlady, as it is listed in 1841 as being run by John Smith. It was at 99 Gt Barr St. cannot find it named pre-1841, though that does not mean it was not there, as early directories are not very comprehensive.
Landlords I have around that time are;
1841-49 John Smith
1855-58 David Edge
1862 W.Shorthouse
I can provide later ones if they are of interest. The pub was still there 1973., but has gone now.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I am trying to track down the very John Smith you mention in the above post! I am actually trying to work out when he died (he was alive in 1851 and dead before the 1861 census).

I know that he was a retail brewer in 1851 and living at 59 Hatchett Street. In 1861, his wife Ann Smith is listed as a retail brewer and living at 195 New John Street West. However, I cannot find any information about the names at the pubs at those locations.

Regards,

Jodi

Hi Jodi
The name of 59 Hatchett St was “The Stingo” I’m afraid I have not managed to determine the name of the pub at 195 NJSW. It stopped being a pub around 1913, and I can’t find any mention of a name .
Mike

Last edited:
It is definitely someone different in 1845 & 1855. In 1852 and 1849 I cannot find him, but the 1852 directory has no street listing, and the address is not listed in 1849, so one cannot be absolutely certain he was not there in these years and just omitted (though I think that unlikely).
Mike

Cool! He was at the Kings Arms in 1849 (but may have been changing pubs when the 1849 directory came out, I guess)... And he could have been dead by 1852, as well. (Sometimes I wish my dead rellies were not called SMITH!)

Is there any possibility that the White House which is on the corner of Unett St and NJSW could be the pub I am looking for? I have been doing some manic google mapping and it seems like it could be the right spot... Ann Smith would be the one with the licence if it *is* the right one.She was at NJSW in 1861, and listed as a retail brewer.

Jodi

Jodi
No it was not on the corner of Unett St, though not very far away. It seems to have been on the corner of Gt Barr St. It is shown in red on the map. Later it was a coffee house. You can see the pub you mentioned on the end of Unett st on the right
Mike

Hi,
I've just seen this really old thread and thought you might be interested in the info I'd found about John Smith.
His probate record references his address as NJSW - The "Fountain Inn":-

Name:John Smith
Death Date:16 Dec 1859
Death Place:Warwick, England
Probate Date:7 May 1860
Probate Registry:Birmingham, England

I've seen his pub on NJSW called either the Fountain Inn or Tavern

Best wishes,

Sharon

thanks for that info...did not know there was a fountain pub on new john st west...interesting but i doubt being so early there wont be any photos of it...the fountain i know of was in nearby farm st...

lyn

Back