• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fawlk/Fawlkes family

J

joellen

Hello my name is Joanne, my nan's maiden name was Fawlk, although on her birth certificate it reads Fawlkes, on her brother's birth certifcate it reads Fawlk.

I can not trace back this surname further than my nan, who was born in 1908. Her father's name was Richard William Fawlk/Fawlkes.

Anyone know of anything, I am all ears,

many thanks

Joanne

Welcome joellen, this was the only Fawlk/Fawlkes/Faulk. Family I could find in B'Ham in 1891.
Names at they time were often spelled 'Phonetically' hence the changes on the siblings birth cert's. They can also often be miss transcribed on many up-dated documents, due to the hand writing styles used in the passed.
Hope this helps

1891 Census
Piece: RG12/2422 Place: Aston -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 41
Civil Parish: Aston Ecclesiastical Parish: St Catherines
Folio: 14 Page: 21 Schedule: 137
Address: 135 Nechells Place
Household:
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
FAULK. Richard Head M M 38 Bricklayer(Em'ee) Worcestershire - Malvern Lock
FAULK Ellen Wife M F 41 Warwickshire - Birmingham

DEAN James Stpson S M 21 Seaman H M S Raleigh(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
DEAN Ellen Stpdau S F 18 Brass Press Worker(Em'ee) Lancashire - Barrow In Furness
FAULK Richard Son - M 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
DEAN William Stpson - M 11 Scholar Staffordshire - Dudley
DEAN Albert Stpson - M 8 Scholar Northumberland - Newcastle Under Lyne
FAULK Lucy Dau - F 8 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
DEAN Frederick Stpson - M 14 Filer(Em'ee) Lancashire - Barrow In Furness

Pom :angel:

Here is more... May or, may not be related, but seems an uncommon name in B'Ham.
Both the parents on the 1891 census seem to have been married before!

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1890
DEAN Ellen............... Aston 6d630
Fawlk Richard........... Aston 6d630

HERE'S THE 1920 BIRTH
Surname First name(s) Mother....District Vol Page
Births Sep 1920
Fawlk Richard H..... Thompson ...Birmingham 6d550

1881 census
Dwelling: 18 High Park Street
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341725 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3034 Folio 54 Page 29
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Richard FAULK M 28 M Upper Howell, Worcester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Labourer
Lucy FAULK M 32 F Knightwick, Worcester, England
Rel: Wife
Arthur FAULK 7 M Dudley, Worcester, England
Rel: Son
George E. FAULK 5 M Dudley, Worcester, England
Richard W. FAULK 1 M Birmingham, Warwick, England

Dwelling: 1 Silvesters Bldgs
Census Place: Newcastle Under Lyme, Stafford, England
Source: FHL Film 1341647 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2700 Folio 59 Page 53
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James DEAN M 38 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Engine Fitter
Ellen DEAN M 31 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
James DEAN 11 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Occ: Scholar
Robert DEAN 9 M Dalton In Furness, Lancashire, England
Ellen DEAN 7 F Barrow In Furness, Lancashire, England
Rel: Daur
Fredk. DEAN 4 M Barrow, Lancashire, England
William DEAN 16 m M Dudley, Worcester, England

Richard FAWLK married Lucy rollings 1873 Martley Worcs.
Their children registered FAWLK
their son born 1879 registered WILLIAM RICHARD.

Lucy FAWLK died in Aston 1886.

Oh my giddy aunt

I so did not expect such a welcome or such a wealth of information.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

I will print off these post's and study the information held with in wow

I am flabagasted

Joellen :)

There is an interesting story that my nan use to tell me.

Somewhere in the family there is a spanish connection??

Also there was a baker in the family tree, who I think murdered his wife, or it might be the wife murdered the husband with a kitchen knife ???

My nan was only ten when her mother died. She was lookied after my her father along with her brother for a time, untill they were put into foster homes, due to cruel treatment by there father.

My nan also told me she remembered seeing her father a couple of times when my Uncle was a baby so about 1942 onwards, he wanted to make peace with her, but she would have none of it. By all accounts my grt grandfather might not of been the nicest man, but if I don't find him, I can't find the generation previous, so thank you for helping

Joellen

ohh also

Ellen and Richard Fawlk Ellen was abt 38 when she died in Birmingham and Richard was 0 in 1920 (I have ordered their death certificates) Nan thought they were buried together in a paupers grave at Warstone Cemetery. I have contacted them (administrated from Handsworth Cemetery) but there is no record of them at either Warstone or Handsworth Cemetry.

I have contacted Witton cemetery and waiting for them to get back to me. Have to remember my nan was only ten when they died.

I think they lived on the boarders of Smethwick and Handsworth when it happen, wish the next census was available (1911) I know that will be a big help to all

Joellen (sorry to waffle on so much)

Ok Ellen was 26 when she had my nan, suposely their 1st child, so it is possible that Richard might have been married before????

if so who to?

and what happened there??

think I am going crazy???

talking out loud

Richard Faulk who was married to Lucy in the 1881 census, remmaried Ellen in the 1891 Census after the death of his 1st wife Lucy in 1886. If so when did he remarry? and is this the right family I am looking for?

errrmmmm interesting

Oh and Arthur ended up in the Warwickshire Reformatory for boys in the 1891 census, wonder why he was in there?

Richard and Lucy would be your G/great granparents.

Their son Richard Willliam born 1879 married Elizabeth Williams in 1899 your great parents ? in 1901 living Nechells Place
Richard William Fawlks age 21 bricklayer b. Birmingham
Elizabeth age 20 b. Hereford
Elizabeth age 5 months

What is the maiden name of the mother on your Nans birth certificate?

Thompson:redface:

Ellen Thomspon, she died Ellen Fawlk in 1920 as did her son Richard, said to be 38 at the time of death so born c1882

You are probably right.I have searched Ancestry backwards from your Nans birth and cannot find a marriage.

Like Alberta, I've also tried all forms of name spelling for both Fawlk and Thompson. Also Ellen, Nellie, Eleanor and Hellen and changed Richaed and William around and nothing .
Richard and Lucy (Who may be your G/G/Grandparent) also seem to have had two daughters between 1873 and 1879 .
I'm so sorry I couldn't find more for you.

Ok I have news and it is thanks to all your help here.

I have now got the death certificates of Ellen and Richard who died in 1920.

Richard Henry Fawlk Fawlk died 17/9/1920 at the age of 1mnth. His Father Richard William Fawlk was the informant, he was a BRICKLAYER.

Ellen Holton otherwise FAWLK died 18/9/1920, informant was her sister in law L Thompson. She was the wife of Henry Holton "cycle polisher" (ex army). So the plot get thicker.

Why di Ellen have chichard by Richard William Fawlk, who himself was married to Elizabeth, when she was married to Henry?

Can you do searches on address'?

Many thanks

Joellen

Joellen,they obviously lived together for quite a while ,from at least 1908 until her death in 1920.

The reason was probably because she left Henry to be with Richard and could not marry him because Henry would not divorce her.

The divorce laws were different then ,there was no amicable agreement when having lived a couple of years apart.

It is just(ha.ha) a question of finding the Henry Holton /Ellen Thompson marriage to solve another piece of the jigsaw.

Henry HOLTOM b. 1883 birmingham
1901 age 18 with family parents william and Elizabeth in ....nal street Deritend
William Holtom age 49 Cycle worker
Elizabeth age 47
Sophia age 30 cycle lamp worker
William 25
Henry 18 Gun worker (so says index can't really tell on original)
Jane 14 Cycle lamp worker
John 11
Ernest 10
Richard 7

1891 living in Garrison Lane, Elizabeth listed as Eliza.

Just realised what is happening ,there is obviously a filter on the site which will not let the first part of the word go through.
The street has the name of a well known London football club and a place where munitions are kept.(and a naughty word for your rear end)

Alberta I love ya :p

You are a star thank you very very much x

hello there..just as a little throw in , i was researching the other day and came across a family name Foaux (17th C)which seems to have later changed to Faux , Fox and Faulkes

Debz

I dont suppose the surname(Mine) of Fowkes is of interest. Cant get back before 1841 think a change in spelling

I dont suppose the surname(Mine) of Fowkes is of interest. Cant get back before 1841 think a change in spelling

I have a gt gt gt grandmother Sarah Fowkes born c1809. She married Thomas Lynam in1827 in Aston. Their daughter Martha married John Wheatley (my family name).
Maybe a connection to your Fowkes ancestors?

Hello all, been a while, and I had completely forgotten about coming on here and all the wonderful help that I got. I am now back on the hunt with another census having been released. Ideally need to determin the Fawlk family name, I have since done a DNA test and my mom has passed away. I am 67.1% English with a concentration on the midlands :) and 32.9% north and west European.
hope you are all well :)

Back