• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Vinny

1. V

Hart family, market traders

Hi Sue, I remember the Hart family. My uncle Frank and Aunt Hilda Gough lived, as you say in Trent St. I think your Mom and Dad sold fruit and veg. As a kid I used to visit and play with my cousin Francis and some of the children in the back yard, possibly you where one of them. My uncle and...
  2. V

Birmingham buses

Hi Lloyd Hi Lloyd, Were all of these still in use in the sixties?
  3. V

Birmingham buses

Yes we were also given the tokens to go swimming.
  4. V

Icknield St School

Some of the Kids in my class in 1960 Icknield St School, can anyone add more? Kieth Orderly, Robert Carr, ? Shaw, Pete Stringer, Les Hepard, Frank Amyes, Melvin Bird.
  5. V

Camden Street

I do remember you and the Bamboo, but I couldn't remember the name until you reminded me also Cubby and Carol, always pillion on his beautiful Rocket Gold Star. I will go to Hoar Park this Wednesday, but by car, my bikes MOT has run out. Which bike will you be on?
  6. V

Camden Street

Hi Bob, You are right on all three and I still ride and have a few bikes. If you see Bob ask him about the pigsty! Vinny
  7. V

Camden Street

Hi Bob, The Austin's children were Margaret & Robert. I was in the same class as Margaret at Brookfield Junior School and I was pal's with Robert when I was a teenager, he had a red BSA Rocket, one of our mates was killed when he lost control of his bike on a hump back bridge. Vinny
  8. V

Hingeston Street

I had forgotten the old road cobblestones down the sides and tarmac were the tram lines had been taken up. Any more photos of George St West. I would like to print them of for my mother, she was born in Rosemary Passage in 1917 and lived in George St West for over 20 years, she worked as a bus...
  9. V

Snow Hill Station

I would have loved to go all the way, but Bristol was as far south we went most of my footplate journeys where to Gloster, Rotherham and local goods trains. I did go to Devon and Cornwall quite a few times but as a passenger. Great journey loved it. Vinny
  10. V

Hingeston Street

I rember this well. I went there many time as a kid to fetch brown ale for an old lady that lived up the next entry in one of the back houses, when I got back she would press a sixpence into my hand and was always very grateful. Can you imagine now days a 10 year old fetching beer! The outdoor...
  11. V

Hingeston Street

Thanks for the photo, your right about the Laurels got very rough the last few years I lived around there, fights nearly every week, a couple of very rough families were always causing trouble one of them got shot with a shotgun, he was the main trouble maker, he survived and it calmed him down...
  12. V

Hingeston Street

The shop here is number 130 GSW. called Mrs Nights. My Mum and dad took it over in the early sixties and turned it into a cafe I lived there for about 3 years and before that I lived at no. 159. Vinny
  13. V

Hingeston Street

Hi Dib, Great photos the three shops you have mentioned I went to most of my childhood, comics from Swains, sweets from Mrs Lilly. I was sent to the Cooked meat shop for a 1/4 boiled ham or pork for my dads sandwiches, bacon from Wrensons, and bread from Mills's picking bits off the crust all...
  14. V

Snow Hill Station

Hi Radiorails, I have a photo somewhere of myself when I was second man on D3 pulling the "Devonian". We took over at Tamworth HL and changed crew at Bristol. I think it was 1965.
  15. V

Lickey Incline

I was a firman in the early sixties based at Saltley, the Gloucester run was a regular for us. On one of my first trips we had a large number of empty coal wagons and we stopped at the top of the Licky Imcline before the decent to allow the guard to fasten down some of the wagon brakes. About...
Back