• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by trevor bow

1. T

Bridge Street West

The Wellington pub was my dad's local until our family moved to Northfield in 1954 - I was 8 at the time. It was on the corner of BSW and Wellesley Street and we lived at No 3 'Cottage Row' further up towards Villa St. It comprised of 10 houses and was next to St Saviours Church where myself...
  2. T

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is great news Steve and well done for rescuing these valuable photos of Birmingham. Did you save them all did you say, or were some thrown away before you had chance to save them ?
  3. T

Farm Street Hockley

Hi Lyn, I've just done a bit of internet research and you're right. It was a by-election in 1969 caused by the death of the sitting Labour MP for Ladywood, and Wallace Lawler won it for the Liberals. But he only lasted a year because in the 1970 general election, Doris Fisher won it back for...
  4. T

Farm Street Hockley

Are you sure this is Farm St 1969 ? I thought most of that area had been demolished by then, and unless this is a by-election, there were general elections in 1964, 1966, and 1970.
  5. T

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I wonder what happened to some of these smashing shields and trophies, unless of course they are still played for.
  6. T

Farm Street Hockley

Ah well, there goes another bit of our local history. The two stone pillars at the entrance to Burbury St Park and the park keeper's house still exist from when I played there in the early fifties. I think they're original structures, unless of course they've been rebuilt !
  7. T

Farm Street Hockley

Is it going to reopen as the 'Queens Head' or put to another use ? The top of the archway and the four windows are recognisable although the latter are smaller. Used to live in the parallel Bridge St West way up the other end right next door to St Saviours church. Left in 1954 when the family...
  8. T

Lucas Great King Street memories

My late aunt, Alice Bow, worked at Lucas Great King St all her life until she retired aged 60 in 1971. She never married and perhaps either she never met anyone - or preferred working to being at home all day as a married woman !
  9. T

Lucas Great King Street memories

Hi Dave, I was born (1946) and bred at the other end of Bridge Street West to you, and lived down an alleyway called 'Cottage Row'. It was slap bang next to St Saviours church where myself and my siblings were Christened. I went to 'Burbury St Junior Infants School' which was also slap bang...
  10. T

St Saviours Church Hockley

Hi Astoness, hope you and yours are keeping well and a big thank you for all the work you put in running this incredible site. Yes, I promised I would send Angelal some photos of Cottage Row where we both used to live, but obviously at different times. I searched high and low and thought I...
  11. T

St Saviours Church Hockley

Hi Angelal, Success ! I haven't been in touch since you last e-mailed me with two photos of when you lived in Cottage Row next to St Saviours church. I said I would contact you when I found my own photos of Cottage Row. I had all but given up when I finally came across them. My parents...
  12. T

Farm Street Hockley

Does anyone out there remember my late sister, Maureen Bow, who attended Lozells Girls' School after leaving Burbury Street Junior Infant School ? She was born in October 1940 and so went to Lozells in September 1952 at the beginning of the new term. She left towards the end of the summer term...
  13. T

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi Mike, I somehow received your message above by e-mail as well, and this is the reply I sent you below. However, it came back as 'undelivered' probably because it wasn't your actual e-mail address. I would love to hear details and see photos of 'Witton Rugby Club' as we always knew you by...
  14. T

GEC WITTON WORKS

I posted on the forum a year ago about playing rugby against the 'GEC WITTON RUGBY CLUB', and the post match refreshments and food in the THE MAGNET CLUB. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who used to play for the club, and if they have any history and/or photos of it. As I said...
  15. T

Silver Blades Ice Rink

I'm showing my age but as an 18 year old, I went to the Silver Blades rink when it first opened in 1964. I was there every Saturday night and there was a regular disc jockey whose name I can't remember - which isn't surprising seeing as it was almost 58 years ago. Was it perhaps Ricci the Dee...
Back