• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Trebor

1. T

Erdington Open Air School

I was there late fifties, the headmaster when I started was Mr.Miles then Miss Hazel, nursing sister was sister Yelland, I remember Mrs Browning, Mr.Wilson, mr.Davies. I loved it there.
  2. T

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

That could have been me, I hated being at Cropwood, I was there middle fifties, I had long blonde hair that Miss Urquart said I had to have cut, I can remember crying and saying I would plait it, but no it had to be cut, a barber came in once a month and we all got a basin cut, there are things...
  3. T

Coffee shops on and near Curzon street in the early 1900s

The Railway Pub was on the corner of Curzon Street and Howe Street. I remember it well, it was used by my grandparents and parents.
  4. T

Coffee shops on and near Curzon street in the early 1900s

Here is a photo of Curzon Street. My grandparents lived at 29.
  5. T

Alum Rock Road.

That’s the one, I didn’t like to put the name on, but it was definitely the surname Curley. I remember clearly seeing the child in the road, it was awful.
  6. T

Alum Rock Road.

I lived in Reginald Road just up from the maisonettes, 60 odd years ago a child ran from those maisonettes and was killed by a car, one day, I can’t remember if before or after this incident I was crossing over from Reginald Road I was 10 and my brother was 7, he let go of my hand and ran in...
  7. T

Alum Rock Road.

Does anyone remember when there were some maisonettes opposite the Rock cinema, it appears they have been knocked down and a car park is there now.
  8. T

Alum Rock Road Shops

I went to Gloria Dawn’s shop to have my hair done on my wedding day 1963.
  9. T

Alum Rock Road Shops

Before where Tesco was on the corner of Alum Rock Road and George Arthur Road was a family run shop run by Mr And Mrs Bagley, their son Ernie was my husband’s best friend growing up.
  10. T

Church Road, Yardley.

I lived at 46, Croft Road opposite Wroxton Road in the seventies.
  11. T

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

If you go the search facility on this site and type in Hunters Hill open air school you will see lots of information, there may well be photos as well.
  12. T

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

I too went to Bishop Ryder school and I lived at 2/21, Howe Street.
  13. T

I was there is the fifties and things they got away with were wicked and definitely would not be allowed today, I went to another school after, Marsh Hill Open air school, it was a day school and was lovely, you had to leave when it was deemed you were well enough to go to an ordinary school, I...
  14. T

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Thanks for that Susan, I myself lived in Howe Street.
Back