• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by templartyler

1. templartyler

Ballads of Birmingham

Can be purchased at Abe Books https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=rudland&tn=Ballads+of+Old+Birmingham.&kn=&isbn= Poems, together with...
  2. templartyler

Doctors

Dr H V Sankarayya, who had been in general practice in Birmingham until 1985, died on 7 March 1989,aged 81. Hebbalalu Velapnur Sankarayya-Sankar, as he was known to friends and colleagues-graduated in medicine from Mysore University in 1934. A brilliant student, he was awarded the gold medal in...
  3. templartyler

Doctors

Dr Hebbalalu Sankarayya, rather gruff in manner,but an excellent Gp. Partnered with Dr Bose also Dr Bamford the trio had surgeries in Gt Barr Street, Cherrywood Rd and also on corner of Coventry Rd & Aubrey Rd Small Heath. My mother Gwyneth Evans was caretaker at Gt Barr St and then subsequently...
  4. templartyler

Family Advice Centre Devonshire St.

++So sorry to hear that... totally sympathise....and to a point am able to empathise....I used to park my car in Devonshire St...came back one Friday evening, from the Disco in the Hut on Musgrave Rec'...only to find my tyres slashed.As an Advice Centre...we were employed by the then Children's...
  5. templartyler

Hi, I can confirm 'Robbo' was involved in acquiring the Church as a Youth Club.....but not for many months...lead was removed from the roof went crashing through the floor into the cellar.A quantity of used wood ...beams etc was then stored in the disused building.......and the Church suffered...
  6. templartyler

Haseley Hall

Check out .... https://www.rowingtonrecords.com/Houses%20and%20Places/Haseley%20and%20Honiley/index.html#Old%20Haseley%20map%201887.jpg ......for more information.
  7. templartyler

Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green

Re: Cherrywood Road, Saltley ? Dr Sankarayya was our Dr...DrBose was the senior partner in one of the first NHS practice in Bham, A former Gurkha military Dr Sankarayya was a little gruff in manner, but a good doctor......Dr Bamford...far more easy going ....his father was...
  8. templartyler

Robbo, Phil, Rose,Dot and Kate ..... Shirley at the typewriter .... originally we were based in a hut on Musgrave Park ...that became the Disco Centre with DJ 'Junior' on a Fri night, moved on to a house in Devonshire St, just up from the Park.... finally we moved to the corner shop as listed...
  9. templartyler

old photos of houses in and around Gt Barr St

A former Gurkha military Dr ....a little gruff in manner, but a good Dr......Dr Bamford...far more easy going ....his father was involved with Schools Dental Service near Hobmoor Rd. Our family from Gt Barr St [we went to Ada Rd School] moved to Aubrey Rd / Coventry Rd around 1956 [we then went...
  10. templartyler

old photos of houses in and around Gt Barr St

As a former resident of 111 Gt Barr St [Dr's Surgery ...Caretaker Mrs Gwyneth Evans] I can offer a little more detail .... Starting at Young's Newsagents.... opp Cannings ...going towards City. on R H Side Nicklins Shop [corner of Derby St] ....family also had Pallet / Transport Co in Watery...
  11. templartyler

Norton Anti virus software renewal

Comodo is a excellent free combination of firewall & antivirus https://filehippo.com/download_comodo Comodo claim that their firewall is unique in that it passes all known leak tests to ensure the integrity of data entering and exiting your system. Comodo has put firewall through all kinds...
  12. templartyler

Sheldon Bombing

I remember them well.....do believe he walked with severe limp.... and is it the case he was involved with road construction? Thanks for posting the cottage image......
  13. templartyler

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

The 'Wheel Club'....has changed hands a number of times since Bill Cutler owned it during the 70's .......along with a similar club in Moseley......
  14. templartyler

Fletchers

A B Fletcher's in the 1950's used to have Army tanks stored under the Railway Viaduct in Lawley St, you had to dodge the watchman [rotating the gun turret was a daft move !].....younger brother was Brian.
  15. templartyler

Sheldon Bombing

Finally, a Mr Ingram of Hall Green has yet another suggestion for the origin of Tiger’s Island : “I was told many years ago that the island used to carry a very large advertisement for Esso petrol, which had a tiger on it. Remember the ‘tiger in your tank’?”
Back