• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Sheldon-John

1. S

The Moors Firs Estate

I used to live round the corner in Dreghorn Rd in the late '50's and had a friend named John Yarnall (or Yarnold?) who lived in The Moors at that time. I think Mikejee's information is spot on suggesting the houses up there were built around 1955-56.
  2. S

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Hi Steve, Is picture 684 of the Dolphin pub on the Warwick Road (A41)? The photographer is looking towards Acocks Green village with Olton Hollow behind him. I don't think the pub exists now--is there an Aldi or Lidl there now?
  3. S

Fellows family history

In case they're connected to your enquiry there was a Fellows radio & repair shop at 2156 Coventry Road, Sheldon during the 1950's. We lived next door. It was a 2-storey building with the repair lads upstairs. They used to hang out of the windows wolf whistling my 17 year old aunt when she...
  4. S

Hodge Hill secondary school

Ah yes I remember now where the Raven was, still is presumably. I'd forgotten it was the 55 route; we always used the 56 as we lived down Newport Road. Talking about meat pies, I don't eat them very often now but there's a butcher in our village who makes 6 different varieties of pie, big ones...
  5. S

Marriage lookup please - Thomas Hidson

Thank you MWS for that information, which I didn't know. That seems to throw a different light on the matter. The Mary Hidson Robin told me about, from Witham on the Hill, now looks like the only person of that name & in that area at that time. Being a rare surname the likelihood is the Mary...
  6. S

I'd forgotten the pink custard! But I do remember the sago & tapioca--both looked like frog spawn but we ate them anyway. Not heard anyone mention the Raven since the 60's, but can't recall where it was. Was it on Shard End?
  7. S

Hi Robin, No, I hadn't seen that; thank you for sending it, very interesting. It could very well be the Mary in my tree. The Mary I found years ago (from IGI?) was christened in Deeping St. James on 1st Dec 1765 although I haven't yet found it confirmed in the Parish Registers. Looking at the...
  8. S

Hi, do you mean HH Girl's Grammar or HH Sec Mod? I went to the latter from 1959-65. Lived on Firs Estate until '63 when my family bought a house 5 away, but rather than attend a school closer to our new home I opted to stay at HH as all my friends were there & it was only 9 months till the...
  9. S

Sheldon

Apologies for belatedly commenting on this thread; only just seen it. Fascinating photos of the old model railway field. I lived on the Coventry Road until '61, opposite Caudle's entrance. Our back garden didn't allow access to the field but a friends garden backed onto it so we used to crawl...
  10. S

Thanks for this information Robin. It's a very uncommon surname so should be easier to trace than most, although that's not my experience unfortunately. What you say makes me think that 'my' Hidson's had strayed from where most Hidson's lived & that's why there are so few in the Peterborough...
  11. S

Hi Robinhidson, This is a long shot; I've been trying for years to trace a Mary Hidson who was baptised in 1765 in Deeping St James, near Peterborough, and married a Gale which is one of my direct lines. I've never previously come across a mention of any Hidson on any forum so was pleasantly...
Back