• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Sarah M

1. S

Doctors

I think this would have been too long ago for anyone to remember but my mum said my 2x grt grandmother used to get a few pence from the doctor to go in and help with births and pop in to look after the Mothers for a couple of weeks afterwards. Her name was Susan English and when she remarried...
  2. S

123 Reginald Road, Saltley

My 2Xgrt grandmother Susan English (married Algernon Hudson) was living at 116 Reginald Road in 1923.
  3. S

How to I find old street maps?

Thank you :)
  4. S

That's really kind, but it was more a general enquiry really because I have a lot to look up as I go along whilst I'm writing up. My family lived in Nechells, Digeth and round Slaney Street up by Snow Hill.
  5. S

I'm really missing the old maps site. It was useful for working out house numbers. Is there anywhere you know of where we can find maps with some house numbers on?
  6. S

Cromwell Street

Hi Kate My Great Gran, Granddad and Grandma (Clarke) lived at 81 Berkeley Road East from at least 1927 -1932. I wonder if there are any photos of the street?
  7. S

Birmingham pubs

Thank you
  8. S

Lots of WW11 photos of Brum

My Great Grandad worked at Windsor Street Gasworks. I found his work badge the other day.
  9. S

Birmingham pubs

Does anyone have any information about the White Swan in Hampton Street? This article is from the Birmingham Daily Post - Monday 11 August 1873. I've been researching Thomas Wattis. In 1871 census he was listed at 12 Hampton Street - was this the White Swan? He was not listed as a beer retailer...
  10. S

Joseph Norris photographer

I have a photograph from the 5 Union Passage address in my family collection.
  11. S

Bull Ring Old Cock Pump

I've just been looking at this website http://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.com/2012/10/pratchetts-bull-ring.html which has a good piece about Pratchett's Folly or the pump that was converted by Hollins into an Egyptian Conduit. From Hollins' sketches and the descriptions, it looks as if the white...
  12. S

Dunlop

I came across this photo of my Gran and her friend Wynne. I am wondering if this might have been taken at Dunlop as they both worked in the typing pool there. Does anyone recognise this building?
  13. S

Dunlop

Yes I love those little bits of history. Thanks for your comments, they enabled me to connect this postcard in my box of photos to her story. I wonder if she and my grandad used to go there when they were courting.
  14. S

Lightwoods Park, Bearwood

Thanks for posting the photograph of the bowling green. I have a letter from grandad which talk about going to Lightwoods Park in May 1952 and walking past the bowling green.
  15. S

Dunlop

Great history of Dunlop developing on this thread. Thought this might be of interest. Envelope with the Dunlop logo (1932) and letter sent to my grandmother who used to work in the typing pool at Dunlop. She left when she got married and evidently sent some wedding cake to her colleagues.
Back