• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by RuthL

1. R

Birchfield Harriers WW1 memorial plaque

Thanks Mikejee, I did think that maybe Western Rd denoted the hospital. Yes, 3 New Street is where the chiropodist's is listed in Kelly's directory. I thought I had found that he and Leah (nee Turner) had had a family before she died, but the fact that a niece registered his death makes me think...
  2. R

We've now moved the WW1 research to a new website at https://archive.birchfieldharriers.com where we'll be putting up all future research too. We are having a seminar on athletics in the W Midlands during WW1 in January and I'll post the link to sign up for that soon. As part of the project...
  3. R

Athletics in Birmingham in 1870's.

I don't know if it's still possible to reply to the original poster on this, but I regularly search the British Newspaper Archive in my volunteer role as Birchfield Archivist and can see that an H Markwell won an electroplated cup in a quarter mile race at the Cambridge athletic sports in the...
  4. R

Thanks Steve R, we will let you know. Last year the road-running group from the club ran a relay to visit some of the Belgian memorials where some of these men are commemorated, but we've by no means found them all yet. Readers of this forum will know that the grave of Alfred Wilcox, who won the...
  5. R

On behalf of Birchfield Harriers I'd like to thanks you all for your help in this. Here's a few more details. The original plaque was probably bronze and stood about 36" high. It was donated by G H Alexander, a member of the family of WW Alexander, after whom the stadium is named. Two members of...
  6. R

Gladys (Sally) Lunn

just found this thread. I work with the archives at Birchfield Harriers and we have many pictures of Gladys (Sally) Lunn as well as one of her old javelins! She was an inspirational figure in the Ladies' section in the 1920's and 1930's. She features in the exhibition of famous Birchfield...
Back