• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Rowlandski

1. R

Maryvale Convent School (st Mary's College, Old Oscott)

I've dug out three photographs of Maryvale. The class photograph is pre WW1 I think. The 'official' photo looks painfully staged - one can almost hear the presiding nun telling the girls to keep still. Thank you, Aileen, for mentioning the Maypole dancing - that explains the goings-on in the...
  2. R

Thanks Vivienne. Sorry if it takes me a while to get round to responding - I'm not yet quite geared up to the forum business.
  3. R

The President Lincoln, 123 Longmore street

Just to put the record straight (obsessive? Moi?) the servant is Catherine Lavinia Bott, daughter of a respectable glass engraver; a complex woman who liked pubs and barmen rather more than was good for her.
  4. R

Bernard, Bit late in the day to be joining this post but the girl to whom you refer was Agnes Rowlands and she did indeed become mother superior: her name within the Order was Sister Mary Berchmans.
Back