• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Richard Dye

1. R

Home Guard

Great article Pete! Lots of positive Nationalism there, 500,000 over subscribed!
  2. R

Radio

I doubt it’s the same vehicle. The glazing is different! Possibly just to show what the interior would look like.
  3. R

Bsa Factory In Blitz

I did a Wikipedia I did a Wikipedia search on the M20, interesting read, including the bombings at BSA.
  4. R

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

Phone, iPad and computer all working fine! Thank you…
  5. R

Aston Cross and Villa Cross picture houses

Never went to the Lyric, but the Palladium always seemed to have great flicks!
  6. R

happy birthday bob davis

Happy Birthday Bob, have a great day with many many more returns!
  7. R

Our childhood toys

Sorry about this!
  8. R

Our childhood toys

9. R

Our childhood toys

This is a Chatanooga Choo Choo! It is a part of the Chatanooga Mountain Valley Railroad. A couple of years ago for Christmas, our son and his wife gave us dinner (white linen tablecloths) on a two-hour train ride pulled by a sister locomotive. This was taken in the CMVR yard near the station.
  10. R

Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels

Back in the day, galvanizing was “hot dipped” tending to leave a thicker coating. Today most (not all) galvanizing is electro galvanizing which is basically a plating process. Electro galvanizing does work quite well, uses less material and is excellent for metalworking and takes paint very...
  11. R

Our childhood toys

Amazing how satisfied and pleased we were to get a single figure once in awhile. I collected Coldstream Guards on horseback (made out of lead and leaded paint) I wasn’t told they could make me sick so I didn’t.
  12. R

Home made traditional food

Today is Cinco Demayo you should be serving that with a margarita or Don Julio! Love those quesadillas….
  13. R

Home made traditional food

I think slow cooked or braised meats are the absolute best! Along with rice and macaroni pudding of course :) , maybe some bread pudding as well!
  14. R

Then & Now

What we call: “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” particularly photo 1. Thank you!
  15. R

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Castellated, your great uncle maintained and refit the drive belts for the machinery. It was for the most part a critical job. Many of the belts “back in the day” had to be custom fit or they were even more dangerous. Usually there was a master drive belt from the power source which was more...
Back