• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by miss muffett

1. M

toll gate keeper

Hi , Many thanks for taking time to show me the toll gate info!I think it was the Kingsbury one that my relative was on.Very interesting -I will certainly look into further detail . regards miss muffett
  2. M

toll gate keeper

Hi , According to her wedding cert,my 3rd x great grandmother ,was a toll gate keeper . On the cert she lived at sutton Coldfield so any way I can find out where the tollgate was please? Would she be documented anywhere etc? She was written down as ''widow'' on the wedding cert so maybe she and...
  3. M

savage george b 1833-bidford on avon

George Savage was my gt x 2 grandfather who worked as a lemonade and soda bottle maker.Where would this factory have been -any ideas?He lived in the West Bromwich area on the 1881 cencus.His daughter's father in law was a glass blower,possibly at the same factory??(mentioned on her wed cert).
  4. M

surname=salisbury/salesbury

Can someone help please?Any idea as to how to find who her parents were?Indeed,have I found them already? I have in my tree a lady called Ann Kesterton nee Salisbury(also spelt Salesbury),born 1809,essington wood ,staffordshire.(details off 1851 cencus where she lives with her son George Albon...
  5. M

rollins(or is it rawlins?)-whats in a name?

A big thankyou and an update on my Rollins saga! Took plunge and sent for a birth cert for my William Rollins born Sept 1850 ,with evidence I had gleaned from various sources,with your help. His father John had wed Lucy Cloney in April 1850.She sadly died a couple of years later in June 1852...
  6. M

Sparkbrook Shops

Bit late but here goes.Only recently joined the forum and found this thread.Does anyone recall Jones on the corner of Conway Rd and another road that I cannot remember? When we first moved into Medlicott Rd round the corner,Jones was only a small corner shop but they expanded lengthways and...
  7. M

Golden Hillock Road School

When I attended Golden Hillock primary school,early to late 1960's,in my class were some of the names of ''a kingdom''=King,Bishop,Castle,Page(think there were 2 of these ,I was a Wright.This would have been when in Mr Lang's class.I can picture both him and Mr Price.Both wore specs but Mr Lang...
  8. M

Golden Hillock Road School

Only found this website in the new year. Myself and 1 of my 2 brothers attended Golden Hillock primary school,it would have been 1960 -69 ish.We had a headmistress called Miss Brookes and some of the other teachers I remember are ;Mr Lang,Mr Price,Mrs Hall,Miss Jay and not forgetting Mrs...
  9. M

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Bobbygee, re Darrells;My mom was born 1926,so taking it that she would have worked there in the 40s?She married my dad in 1949 and they moved to Bodymoor Heath to live.Too far for her to commute I should think?? As always,its too late to ask now! miss muffett
  10. M

help with a birth record

Williamjukes The name Rollins/Rawlins is turning out to be like Smith in the Ufton area !Thats one reason I have not a birth cert for my great x 2 grandfather ,yet. I have been waiting for a definate ''mother's'' name before sending for a birth cert,but I will put all the evidence I do have...
  11. M

Saltley & Alum Rock

My mom was bought up by her nan and grand dad who lived on Arley Road,Saltley.They were the Kettridge family and my nan ,maiden name Kesterton, apparently ruled the roost with a rod of iron! My great grandma Kettridge had a row her husband and they didn't speak to each other properly for...
  12. M

help with a birth record

I have nothing concrete that says born 1852.I have only cencus ''ages'',death cert,wed cert. The witnesses on the wed cert are Michael berrick(the brides father) and Mary Varnon.Don't recognise the last name at all.The ancestry person is most probably me! Thank you all for your input,i am sure...
  13. M

help with a birth record

Many thanks for ideas.No birth certificate yet for William as I do not know who his mother was only his father. As mentioned in my original message,the concrete things I know are; from wedding certificate (22nd dec 1878) that states he is of full age and father was John Rollins,a labourer...
  14. M

help with a birth record

Can someone help me please?I have been trying for ages (years!) to find the mother of William Rollins born Dec 1852 ,Ufton,warwickshire.Thought I had found her through this site a little while back,but was wrong!It was his aunt who was on the 1851 cencus where he was a ploughboy. I know his...
  15. M

clough-where are you?

Anyone live in the sparkbrook area during the 60's? My parents lived in medlicott road and had a very good friend by the name of derek clough who lived in lodgings on anderton road.Anyone know of his whereabouts now as the family lost touch when we moved to erdington . What happened to him?He...
Back