• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by lynnehart

1. L

Coroners of Birmingham

I thought members may be interested to see the photographs of previous (and current) Birmingham Coroners. Photographs are all on display in the foyer of the Coroners Court. Hopefully you won't have need to visit!
  2. L

Hawthorn Road Kingstanding

So many memories in that picture. We lived just down from there - number 160. I remember a Mrs Newby at the post office. Clarks the vegetable shop, a wool shop, the Cabin (sweet shop), Leavers (a very posh ladies clothes shop), Nylons and Knitwear, a florist, Wrensons (I think that was in...
  3. L

Possible suicide - Update

When you receive the death certificate, it will say on there if an inquest was held and also the name of the Coroner. If there is no mention of an Inquest, there will be no records. If there was an Inquest, you can apply directly to the Archives to make arrangements to view the file. As the...
  4. L

Birmingham Coroner's Court

I thought members may like to know that the Coroner's Court on Newton Street will be moving to another building towards the end of the year. It is moving next door to the Juvenile Court. The old Coroner's Court only had one court room whereas the Juvenile Court will be able to provide us with...
  5. L

Kingstanding

Just been for a walk along Kingstanding Road. The nursery must be getting a new sign and they've exposed the sign underneath.
  6. L

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

We've just been for a walk down Kingstanding Road and knew somebody would appreciate this. The Nursery must be getting a new sign and they've exposed the sign underneath.
  7. L

Hostaria Wine Bar

I remember Hosteria's wine bar very well - every time I went, I would sneak a glass out in my handbag - the name was printed on them and I thought they looked dead posh! If I remember correctly, it was a really long bar - you seemed to walk miles! My mother thought this wine stuff was just a...
  8. L

Jobs you did after school and Saturdays.

I worked in the BHS restaurant clearing tables. Do you remember the conveyor belt to put the trays on that wound itself all around the restaurant? Those in the washing up room (where it ended up) frequently turned it off so they could catch up and us table clearers would try and push the trays...
  9. L

Sir Richard Knowles.

I had the pleasure of working twice for Sir Richard - once in his capacity of Leader of the Co-operative party and again as his secretary when he was Lord Mayor. A lovely, lovely man. Everyone was a "comrade"! I remember the story he told me of when he walked through a door in the Council...
  10. L

Womens in town

Yes, loved Chelsea Girl and BIBA on New Street.....
  11. L

Interesting item on Ebay....

Jamboree Sutton Park
  12. L

I was amazed to see myself! I remember all these shops and more....I lived for the Gwynnes sale to get the half price Pippa doll outfits! Sunday evenings we went "window shopping" as a family - loved looking at all the things we couldn't afford. Nowadays you can go and look at all the metal...
  13. L

Whilst googling last night, I came across this: https://www.pbase.com/uzgroup/image/87303561 And guess what! That's me at the front!!!!:)
  14. L

Kingstanding

I'm afraid Gary Thomas rings no bells......I always remember the Cabin being run by a married couple - a very little dark haired lady! I was amazed to discover the current post office owners have been there nearly thirty years!
  15. L

Kingstanding

Scamperoo, 160 was between the shops in the photo and the shops at the top of the road, a few doors down from the Post Office. I went to Hawthorn Road School in the 70's...... It is very sad as the shops now aren't like they were - lots of charity shops and £1 shops!!! Most seem empty most of...
Back