• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ken1947

1. K

Potters Hill Aston

I have seen the pics a few years ago cant remember where. The picture with the cafe was the start of Potters Hill and it went all the way to Victoria Road. Back in 50s the cafe was a small grocery shop and like most shops did'nt have much in there, just the basics bread, milk etc. The 4th house...
  2. K

Home made traditional food

I have not had bread pudding for years. Asda do one but the reviews are mostly awful and at £3.50 not worth the risk.
  3. K

No birds in my garden....

I live in Tamworth this year has been very quiet. Pair of Blackbirds in the garden earlier in the year but not seen for weeks. Usual have all sorts apart from sparrows, blue tits, robins and a couple of finch's in previous years. Not seen as many pigeons, magpies or crows. Its not just the...
  4. K

fish and chip shops

I envy you wealthy people who can afford dripping. Lard is half the price.
  5. K

fish and chip shops

I still cook my homemade fish and chips in lard. Plain flour, pinch of salt and dry cider to make the batter, nice chunky chips and a slice of bread and butter.
  6. K

Sisters of Charity, Northfield

Well I have spent a good hour looking into this and now know it was called the Convent of our Lady of Charity its the one I used to go to. As pjmburns posted on Feb 13 2021 it was at the Priory and its no longer there. The Priory was demolished in the 1990s so trying to find info is proving...
  7. K

Sisters of Charity, Northfield

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, my sympathies to you and all your family. I really cant remember the names of the Nuns. All those that I met were lovely. Someone out there must have more knowledge than me and I will see if I can find any info that might help you.
  8. K

Weather: Winter snow 1967/68 or 1968/69

I left school Christmas 1962. I had to start work the day after Boxing Day. I was just 15 years old, about 5' 4" and weighed about 6 stone and I was going to work for a building firm. I can remember standing at the bus stop at the old West End watching it blizzarding down and thinking it...
  9. K

National Service

When I joined late 65 there was still a few ex N/S who became regulars after there initial service ended. A great way to travel back then but all these places have gone now. Hong Kong, Singapore, Gibralter. Still great memories for me.
  10. K

National Service

My older brother was one of the last to do N/S. He hated every minute of it and they made the last ones do an extra 6 months. He was in the Royal Warwickshire so local regiment. He did twelve months in Hong Kong and the rest in Germany. That was the very early Sixties. in 1965 I decided to...
  11. K

Courtyards and yards of brum

I was born in a back to back at the bottom of Potters Hill. Four houses with an entry running between them. The two houses on the front had two doors, one on the street and one in the entry and the houses on the back had just one door. The front door we never used it was always the one in the...
  12. K

fish and chip shops

Back to this thread there was a chippy in one of the roads off Brookvale Road, Witton. It was owned by a couple from Hong Kong and they were lovely. I used to park nearby when at the Villa and after the game pop in and get some fish & chips to take home.
  13. K

Pubs Of The Past

The good old days when there was a pub on every corner. If you asked somebody for directions it would go something like this, Turn left at The Red loin keep going the turn left at The Black Swan etc. They could guide you all the way across Brum just using the pubs.
  14. K

DONATIONS

As a newbie I did'nt know if there was any particular time of year to donate so I did it last week. Even though I dont have a Paypal account it was the easiest way to do it. I am also a member of a football forum that is free but there are loads of adverts on there which can spoil it at times...
Back