• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by johnpress

1. J

James Upton Printers, Great Charles Street, Birmingham.

I have no idea who Roger Blower is , can you throw any light on him ? he appears to have worked there when I was ther from 78 to 97 but haven a clue who he is ?
  2. J

In fact Alice , I would love to meet up for a coffee/drink one day to talk about the great days I spent there and the characters who worked there . R.I.P to Muddu , steve bridges , solis the fitter , ken Holland the driver , pat atkins who worked with paul baker , pat taylor the assistant , ken...
  3. J

I knew Collin groves very very well , he was my best man at my wedding in 1975 . he took his own life not long after I left uptons in 1997 , we crewed together on the same press for many years . What connection do you have with Collin/uptons ? , I only read your thread because I had an email...
  4. J

Of course I remember you Alice , you worked in the office but cant actually remember what you did . Do you remember me john stone ? I worked on the roland favourits with Collin groves who committed suicide not long after I left in 97 . the best years of my working life were spent there . Do you...
  5. J

In fact . It was installed on the 1st day the super prix was on in bham . I called into work in august 86 on a saturday to watch it being craned in of the wagons . I simply dont recognise the name roger blower ????
  6. J

I also worked at uptons from 78 till 97 on the b2 rolands , i went on the brand new B1 komori from day one but i dont recognise who you are ? . I'm johnny stone
  7. J

I worked there from 79 till 97 . Best working days of my life . I was a 1st minder on mainly roland favourit B2 presses but also operated the Komori B1 press . Great bunch of guys there
  8. J

Harry lucas school

Correction . It was on the right
  9. J

Harry lucas school

Correct , his classroom was off the main assembly hall , if you were looking at the stage it was to your right . And he did have a beard , something tells me it could have been ginger(ish) ?
  10. J

Burbury Street

Your 100% correct , it was originally called burbury st which us where i started in 55/56 when i was around 5 . I spent a few years there then moved to Anglesey st school till i was 11 . I then spent 4 years at was was the called harry lucas , why the name changed is beyond me . My older sister...
  11. J

Burbury Street

You a bit older than me , but i went to Anglesey st school till 1961 when i then went to harry lucas in farm st . I lived at 166 Anglesey st . You must have remembered Dr Smith in barr st or possibly smith st
  12. J

Harry lucas school

Where did he teach after harry lucas up toll his retirement . Where was he living when he taught at harry lucas ? I was always curious how far my teachers travelled
  13. J

Harry lucas school

Well he was slightly younger than i remember , no soon as i sent my message i realised that maybe he still may be around . Glad to hear that . He will remember various teachers .. mr watson the history teacher . Mr williams the geography teacher . Mr blenkinsop the french teacher who i think...
  14. J

Harry lucas school

As for the wack on the back of the head , it was forgotten about by the time he got back to his desk . Things were different then , i was always getting the slipper forvthe most minor of things . I would give my right arm to be there now . I guess he has long gone . Im 70 now and my memory says...
  15. J

Harry lucas school

So are you saying he was slightly overweight ? . I remember the beard and had a notion he may and only may have been slightly ginger but I'm a bit sketchy about that . But 100% certain about the flamenco/spanish style guitar playing
Back