• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by harlechjoe

1. H

Canals of Birmingham

To appreciate the history and importance of canals in Birmingham, last year I cycled along the towing path between Wolverhampton and Birmingham then from Birmingham to Worcester. I called the ride 'Navigating the Stourport Ring by Bicycle' which may bring back memories to members of this forum...
  2. H

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

Yesterdays media has revealed 'Historic England' recently added a stagecoach carriage wash in Hertfordshire to the National Heritage List. The purpose of a carriage wash was to clean debris from stagecoach wheels and remove dust/dirt off the identification plate; clean wheels turned with...
  3. H

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

I completed my cycling journey that tells the story of the 5 sea ports that link Ireland with Wales that includes Holyhead and the setting off point / destination of parliamentary mail ( and Parliamentarians ) that my previous adventures follwed through Birmingham as they travelled between...
  4. H

Birmingham 24 hour clock

As a school boy I used to catch the train from Moore Street Station to get home and used to clock-watch - using the skyline sight of the displayed time as a count down to the trains departure time. The clock also displayed the air temperature in Celsius
  5. H

Canals of Birmingham

Those gatherings showed a popularity of our inland waterway system for boaters and communities. Property developers in Birmingham and those who built along the side of other canals certainly appreciate the appeal and value of canals.
  6. H

Canals of Birmingham

Many, many thanks for explaining this to me !
  7. H

Canals of Birmingham

Great photo capturing a method of work in our recent history. I know the technical classification of a barge refers to a width greater than 7ft. Much of my reading about 19th and early 20th century canal haulage rarely mention narrowboats and instead refer to working boats - those carrying...
  8. H

Canals of Birmingham

Telford must have had lots of support; his work on the Birmingham Main Line (1820 -1827) coincided with his responsibilities for surveying and overseeing the mail road between London to Holyhead Road 1815. - 1826.
  9. H

Canals of Birmingham

This is a lovely photo that captures the era of waterway, railway and motorway transport, reflecting the expertise of engineers who designed these systems and the physically demanding work of construction workers who made them.
  10. H

Canals of Birmingham

To all members of the Birmingham History Forum Thank you so much to everyone for the advice you given that informed my journey and subsequent story. I have acknowledged the helpful information you have gone out of you way to provide about the Birmingham Main Line, Birmingham Worcester Canal...
  11. H

Canals of Birmingham

Brilliant - thank you so much !
  12. H

Canals of Birmingham

Would anyone be able to help me understand whether the rubbish was simply tipped from the rubbish cart into the cargo holds of barges, or whether the rubbish was contained in some way for lifting and shifting?
  13. H

Canal toll houses

Thank you so much - the amount of knowledge this forum has harnessed and is willing to share is incredible; I will look up and make contact Brandauer and ask if they were part of the pen invasion of America. I didn't realise coal went to the Droitwich salt works yet it makes perfect sense. With...
  14. H

Canal toll houses

Again, thank you for your help and advice. Provided we are snow and ice free I'll be riding the route at the end of March and shall be delighted to share my photos to readers on this forum page in early April - Joe
  15. H

Canal toll houses

Thanks for the heads-up, I can now plan some detours - Joe
Back