• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by GarthJh

1. G

Birmingham Children’s hospital

I have come across these old photos and suspect they may be from B'ham Childrens' Hospital. Does this one ring a bell with anyone?? Garth
  2. G

Shops in Aston Lane, Witton

416 Aston LANE That's really helpful - thank you and Happy New Year Garth
  3. G

Shops in Aston Lane, Witton

Dear All This may be a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help. I have discovered that from 1915 to the 1920's my gt gfather (William Roston)had a hardware shop at 414 Aston Lane and his sister in Law (Ellen Lakin) had a Newsagents shop at No 418. Of course, I now want to know who was at...
  4. G

Bulls Head, Horse Fair

Bulls Head Hi John Thanks very much - pity its disappeared. It was run by an ancestor of mine, Fank Lakin, who died there in 1901 at the young age of 27. Garth
  5. G

Bulls Head, Horse Fair

Hi, does anyone know what happened ti this pub/hotel.? An ancestor of mine Frank Lakin was landlord/manager there in 1901. Thanks Garth
  6. G

Roston Family

Rostons Stores - where was it? Hi Alf No it's not Frank - he was my grandfather. He moved to Derby and sadly died very young (aged 35) of meningitis. I think it may be his father William but can't be sure. I have no record of him in a shop. He was an engine fitter in 1901 census living...
  7. G

Roston Family

Rostons Stores - where was it? Thanks -a good idea! Here it is! Garth
  8. G

Roston Family

Hi everyone, I've just joined! My grandfather was Frank Roston who was born in Aston in late 1880's. His family also lived in Handsworth. I have an old photograph of a hardware shop with the name Rostons Stores clearly written on the window. Judging from the style and dress of the man...
Back