• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Ex Briton worker

1. E

William Newman & Sons Ltd., Hospital St., B’ham

Hi Paul. I have just been reading about your dad George Fellows ( STROLLER). this is the first time I have seen your dad mentioned, a wonderful man ,he always had time for me ,we used to joke about the man next to him on the Briton production line. He was Frank Brown ( NODDER ).i was working...
  2. E

hi derek The road you mentioned at the island in Perry Barr was Witton Lane ,which terminated at the next island at Witton Road. Graham Miles the snooker player I Remember also Johnny Prescott,I joined the Barn Social Club in 1961 and used to play a lot of snooker there. I can still remember my...
  3. E

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Hi Jean I used to live in Prestbury Road ,between Whitehead Road and Bevington Road up till I was 22 then moved to Witton Road after getting wed. Regards Dave ex Briton worker
  4. E

Hi Derek. Thanks for refreshing my memory about Mr Bushell, also Frank. Mason its all flooding back now. You also mentioned Bert Pittaways fishing tackle shop ,and like yourself also used the shop ,I used to fish at Salford Park, as it was called then and bagged up with Perch and roach.I also...
  5. E

Hi derek , Thanks for your reply regarding wm Newman’s, you would have been there at the same time as myself . I can,t think what the personnel managers name was ,but I recall he had an interest in clocks. Thinking of names you would recall to name but a few . polishing shop foreman Len...
  6. E

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

otoI Hi Geoff I attended birchfield road school from 1954-1958, and remember all the teachers names,my form teachers name was mr blockley and I have not ,heard anyone else mention his name. I too fell victim to fatty Taylor’s red or blue end cane it did sting a bit ,due to both ends of the...
  7. E

Alex’s Motorcycle club

Hi Joe I was a regular visitor to Alex,s coffee bar in the early 60s, racing the speed cops on my 1962 bonnie ,riding in amongst all the other bikers and being hid . Obviously I could out run any speed cops, happy days
  8. E

I have been reading with great interest about different people who have worked at William Newman and sons ltd in hospital street,when I left school in 1958 this was my first job. I worked in Bert bollards shop for my first couple of years doing anything from labouring to fetching hot dogs next...
Back