• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by delboy66

1. D

Gredden Sheila

Can anyone remember Sheila Gredden who became my wife Sheila McCormack when we married in 1967? She lived in Winson Green Road, went to City Road Girls School and worked at Woolworths on the Flat at Hockley. I am sad to say that she died last week after failing to recover from a serious...
  2. D

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Rhodes was a very good Chemistry teacher. He did a good job in helping sixth formers find onward openings.
  3. D

Steward Street School

I couldn't find anything on the tv play from an internet search. It was not on BBC's 'Play for today' because that series started in the seventies.
  4. D

Steward Street School

John I remember that play if it was the one shown on BBC tv in the early sixties: was it shown as 'Play for today'? I knew a couple of the boys in it including Geoffrey Wali who lived in my street. I agree that most of the kids seemed happy at Steward Street school. Cheers Delboy
  5. D

Steward Street School

Hi John I went to Steward Street junior (primary) school for a few months only in 1958 before moving on to secondary school. Some snippets of my memories that may be useful are as follows. The entrance to the school was off Spring Hill Passage, a narrow road leading to King Edwards Road...
  6. D

Hockley GWR Station

Just noticed this thread. I look at a fair number on the site but there are very few with continuing items of interest to me these days. It seems people are getting too old! I used to go trainspotting at Hockley as I did at many other vantage points throughout Brum as well as other places such...
  7. D

Hi Norman I think you were always the joker in the pack! If I remember right you lived down Northfield way and were mates with John? Curtis. Mason used to walk home for his lunch. I think he was newly married! He was a good English teacher. Cheers Delboy
  8. D

Hi Titch I was in the intake at Lordswood the year after you. I also went to Dudley Road (Summerfield) junior school and passed the 11 plus whilst there. My main teacher was Miss Smethurst. She was a really hard disciplinarian. The school had a brilliant record of getting people through the 11...
  9. D

After further study of the sixth form photo from 1964 I have spotted on the back row John Daw, Keith? O'Brien, Dave Cotterell and Barry Joyce. I think I also see (partly obscured) Jimmy Reilly and Greg Conyers. It is very weird but good to see faces not seen for 56 years! Many thanks again Titch...
  10. D

Amazed to see the excellent photo of the sixth form. I am in it but I don't know what the gathering was. It seems to be a mixture of lower and upper sixth forms. I recognise the following selective faces from the lower sixth: on the back row : Parsons, Trevor Fisher, Fred Collin, Rod...
  11. D

Taffy T I think I was about three years in front of you but there were several really good players even without an organised team. A couple of my contemporaries had trials with professional teams. The lad I am aware of who went furthest was Mel (Nobby) Sutton who became a youth and reserve with...
  12. D

Hi Taffy T Yes I had forgotten about the problem of the ball frequently going over the edge and down the slope. An odd thing was that the school designated itself as a 'rugby' school and would have nothing to do with football. The games masters would not even talk about it. Playing football in...
  13. D

In the early days the space between the schools and that further away from Lordswood Road was just rough fields. We were sent for cross-country runs across there. When building work first began in about 1961 the space became covered in thick mud. I can remember some lads who broke rules to...
  14. D

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

I am surprised that I could find little discussion on the website of people who worked at Woolworths on the Flat. There was a reasonably big workforce there, mainly females, including the girl I went on to marry! I was a stockroom boy who worked there part-time in the mid sixties when I was...
Back