• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Colroy07

1. C

Canals of Birmingham

This was the dunstall hall you are talking . I just found it strange to have 2 dunstall halls in staffordshire. And 2 tunstalls and dunstall show wired.
  2. C

Canals of Birmingham

Dunstall was by tunstall near burton on Trent. The picture are the old house which is now a golf club.
  3. C

Bull Ring Centre - Potato Machine?

Can’t believe they keep stopping these traditional events. My mom took me there when we lived in nechells Dolman street. We had family who lived in Aston .
  4. C

I believe the hot spud men sold chestnuts over the Christmas period. November December that’s when I remember. the onion fair was held in the bullring until 1875 then pat collins took it to Aston in 1910 .
  5. C

The Square Old Square

The bull tavern was just in chapel street.
  6. C

The Square Old Square

when this large plaque was in the underpass between lewis,s and corperation street . I wonder how many of us realised it all related to old square . They are mostly individual plaques from certain houses and the bulls heads plaque was the pub in the old square.
  7. C

The Square Old Square

number 1 old square
  8. C

The Square Old Square

old square
  9. C

The Square Old Square

The old square were the priory stood before the old square was built. Old square was demolished in late 1800 to Buick new shops and the new corporation street needed to go through this site. Eventually site of Lewis’s. According to Hill and Dent, the Priory and chapel were built of the same red...
  10. C

This one is an older one with the potoroos drawer . I only ever saw this type at the bottom of spiceal street.
  11. C

This is another potato man I believe 1960/70s
  12. C

Lewis's Department Store

The other end
  13. C

Victoria Square

trees were at the side if you look at both these pictures.
  14. C

this was the one I always remember always on Stephenson street by the phone boxes
  15. C

Singer Factory Small Heath

In 1976 I worked at C H Browns grocers atHay Mills . My best job ever it was a total local green grocers so busy all week. I used to walk down Hobmoor road to my number 16 home to Whittington oval. So loved them days.
Back