• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Bournvilleboy

1. B

Kings Norton Workhouse

Hi Barrie The following reference EP/4/12/1 /1 from Birmingham Library may give the address of the workhouse. I would go myself but I live in Australia.
  2. B

D.N.A. TESTING

Hi, I have recently done a DNA test with Ancestry. The test helped me confirm some ancestors but not others. It relies on people from your close or distant families to also have taken a test so that you can compare family connections. What I did find out was that more people take the test, but...
  3. B

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

dont forget Roy Rogers, Champion The Wonder Horse, Robin Hood, William Tell
  4. B

Plainer Slate

Thanks for information, the videos are very informative. I could not be certain he worked with the same type of slate planer machines, but a good guess would be that he would have used them. I did not realise how accurate that slate could be manufactured to, especially billiard tables.
  5. B

Plainer Slate

Thank you for the information, it is the first time I have heard of a slate backed switchboard. I went to the Claymills Victorian Pumping Station in Burton website, they have a self guided walk, which was very interesting, it showed the slate backed switchboard, they knew how to make things...
  6. B

Plainer Slate

Good Morning Everyone My Great Grandfathers occupation in 1921 was a "Plainer Slate", he worked at S.E. Bullock and Co. Elect. Slate Switchboard, Highgate Square, Camp Hill. Does anyone know what a "Plainer Slate" person would have done, or have photographs of the factory? Thanks in anticipation...
  7. B

Tallyman

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I reckon he might have collected the money for the provident cheques. I forgot about the provident cheques. I now remember my mom buying me shoes with one of them in the 1950's. We went to a Clarks shoe shop where they measured your feet on a machine.
  8. B

Tallyman

Hi all, I have just found out that My Grandfather was a Tallyman in Birmingham. Does anyone know what a tallyman would have done? Thanks for any help.
  9. B

Kings Norton Workhouse

Hi Lin, if you are interested you can find the 1851 census, which includes the workhouse from the following, George G. Shurlow b1813, Bloomsbury, Middlesex. Spouse, Carolina Shurlow. George was the Governor of the workhouse. The description of the enumerator district refers to...
  10. B

Kings Norton Workhouse

Hi Peter, if you can get copies of their birth certificates from the GRO or other sources you will find that the place of birth will be on there. I have found several of my relations who died or were born in workhouses from their birth/death/burial records which have shown the workhouse address...
  11. B

Kings Norton Workhouse

Hi Lin, If you go to the find a grave website and type in Robert Husbands Layton, Born 1821, Died 1881, there is a photo and description of his time as Master of Kings Norton and Solihull Workhouse. Do you have access to Ancestry? If so, look for the 1841 and 1861 census as noted by Adrian H...
  12. B

Kings Norton Workhouse

Hi Lin, The following book has more photographs and notes about the Kings Norton Workhouse as well as research information. See also the acknowledgments page. The Kings Norton Library and Kings Norton History Society may also be of help. On P38 it shows the workhouse from Rednal Road with the...
  13. B

Steel Grinder in the army

His wife reported their daughter's death. I do not know if he was at home at the time. The wording on the certificate under Rank or Profession is " Daughter of Ernest James Hughes, a private Cambridge Regiment (a steel grinder)". I assume these details were entered because his daughter did not...
  14. B

Steel Grinder in the army

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I really appreciate it. What a great site with so many people helping.
Back