• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by boilerman

1. B

The Oratory, Hagley Road

Me too Mick, the worst time of my life in the late 50s, early 60s. I found out what gratuitous violence was, in the name of religion. We lived next door as my dad was the caretaker. He was also treated like muck. Sister Vincent was the worst, pulled me around by the hair near my ear, and hit...
  2. B

Oratory Junior School

Hi Ditto, I was there a couple of years earlier than your dates, my dad was the caretaker, and we lived at 22 Hyde Rd, next door to the school. Sister Vincent and the rest of the nuns were cruel. Put me off that religion forever, sorry.
  3. B

Balti Houses in Ladypool Road

Is Saleem's still there? I think Abdul died, but in the 70/80s it was the place to eat, no cutlery, eat with a chapati, like you're supposed to :)
  4. B

David Bowie in Birmingham

Hi lowart, times past this thread by, shame, but I worked at the Town Hall and saw those two concerts, he came back later and did his Ziggy thing there twice I think, although my memories are clouded a little:)
  5. B

The Abbey St Thomas's Grammar/secondary Erdington

Bit late on this Paul, sorry. I used to get notifications about posts on here, but they've stopped. I definitely remember Burford, or Bill Burford as we used to call him:)
  6. B

Early horse racing in Birmingham

We lived on the Firs estate. Just before they closed the racecourse, my dad took me to see it. The Temperance Seven were playing
  7. B

St Wilfreds R C School

Not sure if he's still alive, but I was told he ran off with the housekeeper, Mrs Westbrook? Like I said in an earlier post my dad and me used to set out the chairs, and for the altar for mass, and also set out the chairs for bingo. I can remember going to confession and Fr Whelan used to say...
  8. B

Hi Paul, I was there till 1967, I dont remember Mr Moore, but Mr Fantham was our music teacher, Our English teacher Miss ? was in the old Nissan huts around the back, it had a coke heater in the back. My form teacher was Mr Fitzsimons who was vicious. I was two years below you but I remember...
  9. B

Birmingham Lighting Department

Amazing, I had one of those clocks until recently, it died after a radiator fell on it. It still blinkin worked as well
  10. B

Birmingham Lighting Department

Well as a snotty nosed 15 yrs old in 1967, I joined the Public Works Dept, we looked after street lighting, Pumping stations, Civic Buildings,(Town Hall etc) OAP homes. Even then, in '67, there were still a few gas lights around, not many but enough for me to remember them
  11. B

Nice one Deltics, took me right back, thanks:)
  12. B

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Ok, I've posted this in another section and it should be in here really, I'll put names to it if anyone recognises themselves. Its St Thomas of Canterbury school ,Erdington aka The Abbey. Click on the pick at the bottom
  13. B

Lets see if I can get the team photo up, ok, done. click on it to make it viewable. On the back row Mr Nash (on the left), then Kelleher (I think), Lockhead, Wright GK, Train, not sure of the last one, and Headmaster Doherty Front/middle row Givens, Craddock, Hampsey (RIP) Burns? Phipps Front...
  14. B

Yes, went there till 1967. I remember Mr Simms, Mr Fitzsimmons, Mr Mc Carthy, Mr Nash. We had a good football team in those days, scored 100 goals one year(I've got a photo of that team somewhere), but sadly lost a player (Pat Hempsey or Hampsey?) to suicide. We used to play the Jesuits, next...
Back