• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by bass player

1. bass player

George Clay - Music Centre

Had a great read looking through this thread. I bought my first bass from the shop on Broad St in 1962 with a Linear amp and 18" Rigby sound cab. The guy who sold it to me is the one whose name has escaped most of the thread it was Graham Hill he was the guitarist with the Brumbeats with Norman...
  2. bass player

Garbet street.

Hi Reg, I lived in Garbett St from around 1948 to 1963 - I remember a coal yard down from the behive on the same side of the road opposite powells shop next to the bomb peck. I can't remember the name of the people who ran it at the moment but I'm sure my sisters will. I think they may have...
  3. bass player

The Holte Public House Aston

It's great to see the Holte up and running again. I played there with the Chester Peterson Combo on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays throughout 1973. Friday night was a site to behold. The gaffer there then for a short time was Peter McCann - George
  4. bass player

Does anyone remember this group from Brum in the 60's

Hi Patty - thanks for putting the original post up again, don't they look young. I played with them on the last 2 gigs as the Crescendos The Lyndon, Sheldon (Sat) and The Birmid Social Club (Sun) before they formed The Triangle. Trev and Betty were up at our house the weekend and I forgot to...
  5. bass player

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi Riff, I tried to find the post for the original question but it eludes me. I can fill in a lot of the information for you as my sister is married to the rythmn guitarist Trevor Greaves. At the time of the record the group consisted of Roger Francis ( lead ), Trevor (Rythmn), Colin Cooper...
  6. bass player

The Bobcats.

Hi Keith, Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about Paul. I found that site and sent an email for contact. I would love to contact Gary and if I can work out the IM properly I will send you my email address to pass on if you would. You can tell him I retired from BT and now live a life of...
  7. bass player

The Bobcats.

Hi Wendy, I'm new to this site and obviously looking around. I remember the Bobcats from as far back as 1965 and towards the end of the 60's I played in a soul band in Worcester on the same bill as them. I remember Mick really well he was known as Mick the Marmalizer to us after an altracation...
  8. bass player

the cedar club

I remember it well, I played in a resident quartet there called "Things to come" in 1970. We played at Don Fewtrell's Daughters wedding with the coventry band Jigsaw. George
  9. bass player

The Bell Ladywood + Queens Head, Aston

Maurice I'm so sorry how could I forget your family. I did forget the Moran - and i went to school with Damian - I remember the Moles and I haven't heard the name Ronnie Ash for 50 years... wonder where he is now? It a sign of old age and 45 years of amplifiers to say nothing of...
  10. bass player

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

Re: Bullpitts Hi Dollyferret, I'm new to this site but I can tell you that the pub with no name which is now a chineese resturant was call "The Summerhill Tavern" aka "the Freehouse" Jut to the left of the picture was the entrance to Bulpitts factory. My mom and I both worked there. Regards
  11. bass player

Hi Astonian, Thanks for the reply. I remember Paddy Hardiman well and his dad John, I used to visit him sometimes when he lived of Great Hampton St. I was a part of that crowd that was known as "The Rebels" along with Paddy, Ragga, Midnight, Paddy Creswell, Dave Foster, Jimmy Workman etc. the...
  12. bass player

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Hi Mossy, Hi Ladywood, There was quite a large Behan clan but i don't remember a Margret. There were, in order, if my memory serves me well - Brendan, Dolores, Tony, Micheal, Dessie, Pauline and Stephen. Dolores lives down South somewhere - Brendan lives in Harborne, Tony lives in Hong Kong...
  13. bass player

The Cuckoo. Ladywood

Hi Sticher, I remember the Cuckoo I used to go there when I was an apprentice at Belliss and Morcom. Try looking at this site www.oldladywood.co.uk there are lots of interesting things to see on the site Regards George
  14. bass player

Hi Garfage, I remember your father very fondly he was a pal of my dads. He served me to my first real pint when I was nearly 17 (until then my dad only bought me shandy). My mom used to sing in the smoke room of a weekend and floody, as he was known to me, always enjoyed the craic. I know that...
  15. bass player

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Re: st peters place..broad st Hi John, If this picture is looking down to the doors of St Peter's could this be Martins Place, I used to go to the school with the Behan family who lived on the right as I walked to School from King Edwards Road. George
Back