• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Adam Twycross

1. A

Moore's Bookshop, Moseley Road

I think that's the edition my mum had in her house as I was growing up- she had an interest in that area... It may have been a later edition, but certainly had the Beardsley illustrations!
  2. A

Now that's a great bookshop claim to fame! :)
  3. A

Aha! Yes, of course you're right- I hadn't put two and two together about the dates; so your original thoughts were probably spot on, and it was indeed Moore's that you were in. That's really wonderful, thank you! Indeed, thanks to all of you for your help!
  4. A

This would certainly explain why customers might have felt a bit unwelcome, if the shop was largely for existing customers... and there was little reason to sell much stock. Moore's itself is still feeling a bit mysterious and out of reach though!
  5. A

How fun... a disguise window! :)
  6. A

Ah, so maybe I've got it backwards a bit.... maybe more that it was rather old-fashioned. That would make sense, given that Moore had been running the store since the 1930s. Most interesting!
  7. A

Oh, that's such a fantastic tale; My wife and I are great fans of Black Books- how strange to think that Moore's was like that in the flesh! Thanks so much Michael, I really appreciate you sharing that with me. Odd that he should act that way- one can only assume that you were not the type of...
  8. A

Hello Michael- that's right. Phil had a great photo of the stretch of Moseley Road that it was on, circa 1968; it was next door to the Tallet's garage/showroom, and a few doors down from the Moseley Cinema. You can just see it on the far left of Phil's image (attached). Phil memorably called it...
  9. A

Thanks Lyn- be lovely to hear if anyone remembers this place! :)
  10. A

Hello everyone Yesterday I posted a thread asking about a specific building- 359 Moseley Road. The response was really wonderful, and I subsequently realised, partly due to a post from 2012 by this forum's late member Phil, that n.359 was well known to Moseley Road residents as the home of...
  11. A

359 Moseley Road

z So I see! :) This has been really wonderful; I'll see if I can find any other images of this part of Moseley Road to get a peek at the ground floor of 359. Now I know exactly what I'm looking for- fantastic!
  12. A

359 Moseley Road

Wow, thanks everyone- what a fantastic response! So if I'm understanding everything correctly, number 359 is indeed in the image that BrummieGeoff kindly provided, and as Lyn suggests it is partially obscured by the awning of the garage, with the upper sections clearly visible. An amazing thing...
  13. A

359 Moseley Road

Thanks for looking! I really appreciate all this help!
  14. A

359 Moseley Road

I very much appreciate you looking all the same! :)
  15. A

359 Moseley Road

That certainly narrows things down... and another resident to track down. That's wonderful, thank you! Useful info regarding the dates and how they relate to actual occupancy, also. I'm not very well versed in 'reading' maps, but it's very interesting that on your map images there is a square...
Back